Funny story (Was almost eaten by giant squid)

"DO YOU LISTEN TO ANYTHING I SAY [Y/N]!" My mother shouted through the call we'd set up on Ronin's ship shortly after departing from the lava pit that The Caves of Despair had become.

"I feel like this is a trick question..." I muttered, trying my best to seem innocent.

She groaned, calming herself down a little before she continued, "I'm just very glad you're safe." I could hear that she was gritting her teeth together.

The others looked at me uncertainly, awaiting a segway into talking business. The important stuff. Ninja business.

"I am also glad mother, so, erm, the Ninja-" She cut me off.

"Should be very ashamed, [Y/n] might say she's capable of doing all these things. But I literally saw her trip over her bag before sneaking out!"

"We told her to go back!" Kai protested.

"No... No, we didn't, we just told her that she shouldn't have come." Zane corrected.

"Also, mother dearest who I am not trying to anger in any way, if I hadn't been there the Ninja would be crushed by cave rocks right now." I added.

"[Y/n], don't push your luck." My mum said, dripping in exacerbation.

She handed whatever it was they were calling us on, to the Sensei, the (not-so) Evil Overlord, and Misako. They didn't look too pleased either. Garmadon looked me dead in the eye with a sheepish look on his face.

"While I agree with [M/n], I'm glad that [Y/n] prevented you from... getting crushed by cave rocks, as [Y/n] put it." Wu said, to which I nodded proudly.

The Ninja took a few minutes to explain the past few minutes of our lives, detailing Ronin's message of previous deceit from Morro's hand, and the new location of the real resting place.

I took this time to wander through Ronin's small ship, looking for anything with a personal touch or flair from him. Nothing but cold, metal walls that occasionally clanked from the mechanics running behind them, and the hard, also metal, floors.

I slid down one of these freezing, hard walls to sit on the floor. Resting my head on the wall, I looked up hoping to reminisce on my short life, as when I got back to my mother she was most definitely going to kill me. Instead, I found myself gazing at a photograph sellotaped to the ceiling.

It was a woman. She had long auburn hair underneath a slanted, floppy woven hat. Her skin was fair, and constellations of freckles spread across her face and shoulders. She was smiling brightly, her eyes closed. The mystery woman's beauty radiated out of her, making it seem as though there was a circle of light outlining her.

Next to the woman was a man. Ronin. Except he was missing his signature eyepatch and the distant moody expression that was permanently etched into his face. He was looking at the woman, his head tilted to her in admiration.

His soulmate...

I felt a tear roll down my face, further regretting what I had said in his shop. Obviously, he knew what it meant to love a soulmate, he also knew what it was like to have that love ripped away from you.

The Ninja had finished their conversation with the adults, and Nya walked over to me.

"[Y/n], what's wrong?"

I pointed up at the photo, "I just feel so bad... Do you know how- how she died?"

Nya sighed, "It was during one of his many deals. He was negotiating the price some more. Whoever it was had heard Ronin was working against him, and... murdered her in front of him, supposedly as a warning."