Chapter 9

"Our family is like a big beautiful patchwork quilt. Each of us different yet together"
____________________________________

Kara had always known that she was different from her family and it wasn't hard for her to realize why. She was adopted but it had never bothered her before. Her mother loved her just as much as she loved her other kids, her father never looked at her differently, and to her siblings, she was one of them. But to other people, it was something to mock her for.

At the Salvatore Boarding School, they were taught all about the different supernatural species out there, even the ones nobody had ever seen just in case they were real so it was no surprise that her classmate and all the other students knew what she was. They all knew she was half-angel and that she was an unwanted abomination that wasn't supposed to exist if the books her "friends" showed her where to be beloved. Unlike how most kids viewed her older siblings, with admiration and love, they looked at her with fear and hatred. She was different, she was different from everyone else alive and that was enough of a reason to be disliked by most. And while her mom said she was beautifully unique and always told her how much she was loved, Kara couldn't help but listen to what everyone else said instead.

Maybe it was her six-year-old mind that made it impossible for her to ignore the whispers and insults but every word made her feel worse and worse about herself. The longer it went on, the worse it affected her mind. It was getting so bad that she was starting to get nightmares from all the taunts and slowly it was making her paranoid that everyone around her hated her, just like her Classmates said.

'I just needed to get awayʼ, Kara thought as she packed her favorite stuffed animal into her blue backpack full of other things she thought she needed. She quickly put the bag on and made her way to her window, opening it up and jumping out as her wings sprouted from her back and carried her away from her house.

~~~

"KARA" Stefan yelled in anger as he entered her room, having been told by her teacher that she skipped school. He looked around confusingly when he noticed the room was empty. His anger and confusion melted away to form worry as he begins frantically looking all around the house for his missing daughter. His mind raced with countless thoughts and worries, trying to find any trace of his six-year-old.

Stefan immediately called his wife, who was still at work, and told her the bad news as gently as he could about Kara.

He could both hear and feel her breaking over the phone. He could hear her cries, her screams of pain. He could feel waves of magic bursting out of her body as she fell to the ground. Stefan would have given everything he had at that moment to be next to his wife, better yet he wished that Kara was still here so that all the sadness and hurt his Cassiopeia was going through wouldn't be real.

~~~

When Cassiopeia got a call from Stefan, she thought nothing of it since he called at least once or twice a day during work hours just to check up on her but the moment she heard his voice, she knew something was different. He sounded so lost and broken that she wasn't sure she would have been able to comfort him even if he had given her a chance to before he told her the bad news.

"Cassiopeia, I can't... I can't find Kara" Stefan whispered the Earth-shattering words into the phone, conveying every single one of his feeling in every word he spoke.

She felt so many different feelings at once that it was hard to distinguish one from the other. She didn't realize she had fallen to the floor or that she had let a burst of magic out that had broken all the windows in the office. She didn't even recognize her own voice when she started screaming, all she knew was that her six-year-old was missing.