Chapter 15.

⚠️Adult Content Ahead ⚠️

Murder scene and self harm contained in this chapter. Skip if easily triggered.

— Two Week Later —

"They'll be here in a few hours, unfortunately Giovanni will be tied up in the conference room with the rest of us, so he won't be able to take Scarlette to school, but don't worry – I assigned one of our men to take her, in his place. So, that means you can have the rest of the day to yourself amore." Viktor mutters conversationally, walking briskly around a large column, tucking away his hand gun and fixing his cuff links. He wore a white dress shirt, black dress pants and shoes. 

He was hurrying to the large, designated conference room to set up with the others for the meeting Rapheal called with the bosses, and underbosses, of the other four families, addressing the matter we discovered a few weeks ago, of the D'angelos illegal trading in women and children, among other things

"Hmm, thanks Viktor. I hope everything goes well at the meetings, and that Rapheal speaks some sense into Carlile. I didn't know why I never really liked that man, this explains so much now." I mutter handing over a thick manila folder of documents, descripting his illegal trade activities, and movements to Viktor. 

His face pulls into a sneer of disgust as he turns to me and takes the heavy folder. 

"I still find it hard to believe, I've always looked up to Carlile for many things, but I never knew he'd authorize something like this." He mutters bitterly, taking the folder from my hands. His voice held disbelief and disgust, his face twisting into a look of betrayal. 

A soft tinge enters my heart at the disappointment that sparked behind his eyes. 

I reach out to grasp his shoulders encouragingly. 

His stormy black eyes look up at me, the usual gleam of mischief and excitement gone completely, leaving only a hollow, blank slate.

My mouth opens on reflex to say something encouraging, but I didn't know what to say. For something as grave as this, words couldn't begin to explain why, or give an excuse as to how they operated in such a market with a clear conscience. 

Everyone in the Gambino mansion was rocked to the core when it was revealed to them, the secret trades of the D'angelos. But no one more appalled or shocked than Viktor; the news had impacted him the most. 

I tried to grasp for words to ease his mind, but once again, I came up blank. So, I settled for the next option that spoke more than words. 

A hug. 

Viktor stiffens in my arms in uncertainty, and I grip his waist tighter. My heart thumps in my chest repeatedly, and it was my turn to stiffen, as he wraps his strong arms around me, and squeezes me in a firm bear hug. 

It was an awkward hug between friends, but a hug nonetheless.

My mind flashes to Dominic, and tears spring to my eyes. A bitter taste spreads across my tongue, and I try to dispel him from my thoughts immediately. 

I pull away from Viktor and look up at him with a sheepish smile. "It'll get better." I croak, wincing slightly at my suddenly hoarse voice. He frowns at me, his eyes now sparking in concern, as bring his thumb to my cheek, swiping away a tear I didn't realize escaped my eyes. 

"Amore, it will." He mutters softly, just then I realized how close we were standing, and the atmosphere around us was the most platonic I've ever felt it in the presence of a man. 

I smile at him gently.

"VIKTOR!"

I gasp in surprise and jump away slightly from Viktor when a harsh voice snarls his name sharply. I watch Viktor sigh in annoyance and roll his eyes before we both turn to glance at the person who stood at the base of the large staircase.