Chapter 22.

— Later That Day —

"I know you've only been back with us for a few days Kylie, but a lot of things have happened, during your absence. I thought it best to bring you up to speed, seeing that you seem to be back to your old self." Rapheal mutters carefully, trying phrase his words in a way that would not offend me.

I smile softly at his efforts before taking the seat opposite him.

"Thank you Rapheal, I appreciate it." I mutter softly, getting comfortable in his plush armchair — ready for the rundown of events that took place since my episode.

He nods at me with a slight lift of his lip before delving into details of what transpired the day of the sit down with the other patriarchs.

Carlile, had enough decency to confess to his dishonorable trade in woman and children trafficking on the black market, but had also taken the opportunity to let it be known that he didn't appreciate being cornered and confronted.

Rapheal and the others could sense his animosity brewing as Carlile was forced to admit his wrong doings in a room full of his colleagues.

The other patriarchs evidently did not appreciate the revelation, and condemned Carlile on his actions and made it clear that they would not support him in his endeavors. It got heated, and harsh words were exchanged between friends, and Carlile had left the meeting early in a frenzy.

His actions had lit a fire under the group, and they were now on high alert of a possible war, or some form of retaliation from one of their own.

Following his exist, the meeting had continued with other updates, and  discussion of Dominic's ascension as boss of the administrative body of the Gambino Family, which was later pushed back a few weeks, due to my episode, as most of the attention was shifted to me, and ensuring that I got better.

My heart moved at this and my throat clogs with emotion.

These people really did care for me.

My eyes watered, but I bite my lip and looked away from Rapheal at his words, trying my best to hold myself together.

"He didn't want to proceed until you were well. My son, has taken a liking to you Petalo, I can't say I never saw it earlier on, because I know him, I know my son. However, I had underestimated how much he actually cared until he stepped forward and gave his blood." Rapheal mutters with a far off look on his face. My body stills at his work, and I shift in my seat.

"What?" I ask, hoping that I had not misheard him.

"Noone told you?" He asks quizzically, arching a questioning brow at me.

I shake my head.

"Dominic, you only survived because of him, he was the only one who had blood type compatible with your own in the time frame needed to save your life, and he gave a fuck ton." Rapheal mutters matter-of-factly, with a knowing smile on his face.

So, he did give me blood.

My heart picks up at his words, as the truth begins to sink in.

"I'll have to thank him." I mutter absent-mindedly looking through the window behind Rapheal.

He stands from behind his desk and steps infront of me to pin me with a serious stare.

I meet his gaze curiously, a nervous smile forming on my lips.

"What?" I ask softly, looking up at the muscular man before me.

"Kylie, do you have feelings for my son?" Rapheal asks seriously, and I almost choke at his question. Instead, I remain neutral and look away.