chapter 41.

Dominic

The smell of medicine and bleach was thick, and pungent in the air. The sound of the consistent beeping of the heart machine across from me keeps me pinned to my seat as I stare at the cold, unmoving figure laying stiff and rigid infront of me.

I could hear the sound of my own heart beating inside my chest as I peered down at Viktor, but I was unable to feel anything. Not anger, not sadness, nothing.

Revenge had eaten away at any other emotion I could have possibly felt in this moment, and right now there was only one thing on my mind.

"Boss, the advisory has been sent. We meet with the others in an hour."

"Thank you, Giovanni." I mutter, not looking over to acknowledge him.  He comes to stand beside me as he peers down at Viktor, and I see his jaw clenching and unclenching from my peripheral vision.

"We were too late." He mutters, and I stiffen.

"It wasn't your fault. Nobody could've guessed that this would happen." I mutter, and Giovanni exhales deeply before turning away.

Giovanni and Dimitri were both struggling to maintain their composure as we all tried to process what had taken place only a few hours ago.

Viktor was charged with transporting Kylie safely from the airport, and bringing her home. But, he had been followed.

When he became suspicious and uneasy at the realization that he was being watched, he had called ahead to Giovanni for back up.

Which made alot of sense, considering that tensions were high and everyone was on edge.

Of course he'd need an extra pair of eyes to watch his back.

Except, back up didn't reach him in time. When Giovanni got to the scene with Dimitri, it was already too late.

Viktor was on the middle of the empty highway bleeding to death. The car he drove was flipped over and brutally written off, and Kylie, was gone.

The only confirmation we had that Viktor and her ever made contact was the message he sent me confirming he had her.

I didn't even notice that hours had passed and they hadn't returned until Giovanni broke the news to me.

I was back at the estate dealing with news of another raid on one of our lesser powder production sites.

So much was happening so fucking fast. Yet, there was a calm inside me that I couldn't shake.

There was a certain stillness inside my body that unnerved me.

I welcomed it.

First blood had been drawn, and if that alone wasn't a declaration of war, what I was about to do, would be.

A cool breeze whisps across my face as I stand upright, my spine rigid and my face void of any emotions.

Giovanni and Dimitri stood on either side of me, and I glance over each of the men that stood before me.

The mob bosses of each family, called to a private meeting. In this very garden, a sacred ground where no blood would spilled. A place of immunity.

We only met here in times as delicate as this, and only when necessary.

"You all have watched me grow, and mature into a man. I was raised by the most brutal among you, you've seen what I'm capable of. And, although we may disagree, I have been unnecessarily pressured into seeking a wife."