Chapter 13.

—One Week Later —

It was a strange setting, and even though I had gotten closer to the person's that sat with me now at the dinner table, I just felt odd and extremely out of place, given the fact that, I was having dinner, for the first time with elite members of the Gambino household, as a family.

Rapheal sat at the head of the table with his son at his right hand and Pheobe to his left.

Dimitri and Giovanni sat on either side of both men, and then came Viktor and Chloe, then there were Scarlette and me.

The maids stepped in and out of the dining area with food that smelled absolutely delicious, and so much too that it could feed an entire third world country.

I was confused as to what the special occasion was, but when Raphael cleared his throat, and pinned me with a steady gaze, I stilled in my seat, and for a beat, I worried what would come next.

"Kylie, you've been with us for, roughly six months now. How have you found your stay at the Gambino mansion?" He asks loudly, but you could still hear the clash of knifes and forks as they struck the dishes with every scoop someone sitting at the table made.

They raise their inquisitive eyes at me and I meet each one directly, thinking over how each person has been understanding and welcoming towards me, and it was then that I truly realized, I had found a friend and a home in many of these persons.

My eyes lock unto Dimitri's as he stares at me in interest, and an image of him and I smiling at each other in peace flashes through my minds eye.

A premonition.

I knew then, that everything between us would be alright and that we would grow closer despite how we had met. 

My eyes skips over the others at the table and lands on Dominic and I feel myself swallow hard.

My cheeks burn and I hurriedly look away to meet the eyes of the man who had directed a question at me and had took me in, made me one of his own, despite the many gruesome things he could've done with me.

Never once had this man touched me or looked at me in a desirous way, never once had he abused my body for his pleasure.

My mind; he had made stronger, harder. And over time he had made me fit like a jigsaw puzzle into his family and for that, I was thankful.

I owed this man much. 

My life, my loyalty, my services. He had cared for Scarlette, had her enrolled in an elite private school, and had given her everything she had wanted, though materialistic, it was more than I could give and more than her own father would've ever lifted a finger to give.

She never suffered a stroke of abuse or punishment under his surveillance. Never faced a day without food or water, and never lacked the necessary things needed to keep her healthy and strong.

If I was being completely honest, she had even gained weight while living under Raphael's roof. She looked plumper and happier than she did growing up and living with Pierre as a father. 

If there was one thing I was certain about, it was that, after living with the Gambinos for nearly seven months, I knew with whom, and where my loyalty now lied.

"My time has been, more than I could've ever dreamt it would be. But more than anything, I've come to learn where my place in this life should have been a long time ago, and it is here with the Gambinos. Despite how I got to be here, I've discovered just where and with whom my loyalty and services truly lie." I mutter lowly, meeting Raphael's steady blue gaze head on, he rubs his chin and narrows his eyes at me diplomatically, before he breaks out into a bright grin, and nods once in approval at my words.