Chapter 25.

— One Week Later —

Kylie

The skin tight black dress hugged my body as I shift uncomfortably on my feet. I slide closer to Pheobe's side with a fake smile on my face as we greeted the patrons that entered the extravagant hall that was rented out for Dominic's party.

Pheobe's glances at me, noticing my discomfort and touches my hand tenderly.

"Kylie, you know. I'm fine with greeting our guests alone."

"I know, but Rapheal wanted me to help you –"

"Oh hush! A young, beautiful girl like you shouldn't be stuck welcoming guests with an old woman like me." She mutters in a motherly tone.

"Pheobe –"

"I don't want to hear it. You go find Chloe and the others, and try to have some fun tonight. Okay?"

"Okay."

I exhale a gust of air I hadn't realize I was holding and turn away from Pheobe, and the grand foyer. I walk into the ballroom and feel like I had entered a moon palace.

The building was marble white tiles all around and a milky white painted the walls, with intricate, noble designs.

A waiter passes by me with champagne glasses balanced expertly in a silver tray on the pads of his fingers, and I swipe a drink from the tray.

I felt tensed.

I wasn't used to being around this much people, despite it being only thirty attendees, including staff. I felt so out of place, and like I didn't belong, although I was a made member of the mob, and was probably wanted here more than any of the politicians or their dates.

I take a big gulp of the champagne in my glass and exhale once more, trying to calm my frazzled nerves.

Tonight was Dominic's night, tonight was the night he'd take the godfather's oath, and transition into his new role.

I couldn't afford to spoil this night for him, or anyone else, especially when I was the reason it was pushed back in the first place.

I stick to the side of the large hall, observing the crowd silently. I could pick out a few familiar faces here and there, but not many.

I recognize Carlile standing with a young man, seeming to be in deep conversation, and my eyes trail onwards as I continue to scan the crowd. Jonathan was present with his wife, as well as their eldest son.

Continuing onwards, I notice the other patriarchs here as well, along with their wives, sons, or daughters, all with delightful smiles plastered on their faces as they casually talked and laughed among themselves.

Everything looked peaceful, and  seemed to be going smoothly. The guys were mingling in the crowd as well, and I look over to spot Chloe at the bar.

The only faces that I hadn't spot among the crowd was Rapheal and Dominic.

Even Astrid was here.

To my dismay, she was here all week. Whenever we spoke it always seemed like a challenge to the other, and conversing with her often left a bitter taste in my mouth. I could not help but let my dislike for her slip through the cracks in my expressions every now and again, especially when she wasn't subtle in her implications of how I became a made member when I hadn't even been with the Gambinos for a year.

Dominic had often times through the week try to speak with me, but I refused his advances. For some reason, knowing that Astrid was his woman and was sharing the same bed with him every night left a sting in my chest.