Chapter 12.

— Two Days Later —

"There isn't any active threats to the family in regards to communication between anyone associated with neither the Gambinos, nor the other four families, and enemy organizations. However, I think you'd like to see this." I mutter stoic-like, handing over a thick manila folder to Rapheal.

He looks up at me with an arch brow before motioning for me to hand him the folder.

He takes it and opens the document inside before scanning the papers repeatedly for five long minutes. 

His body stiffens and the temperature in the room drops as he remains dead still in his seat.

His brows pulling together in displeasure the more he scanned the documents; suddenly, his eyes clap unto mine like a bolt of lightening, pinning me in place.

"Which ones?" He growls angrily crushing the thick papers in his hand with a trembling fist.

"D'Angelos." I breathe heavily, looking away from him, my jaw locking in place and my heart hammering against my chest.

He moves from behind his desk and steps infront of me, bringing my chin up towards him. I meet his eyes with a dead stare, hoping with all my heart that the man I had come to respect and look up to so much as a mentor, and as a father figure, had nothing to do with what was printed on those files.

"Please, tell me you knew nothing of this." I mutter lowly, my heart ready to pierce through my chest plate. His eyes harden in anger and I realize it wasn't directed towards me, but to the men in the family who were trafficking young girls and women on the black market and trading in child pornography. 

A market, that I came to know in my early weeks staying here, the Italians didn't participate in. It was against policy, and dishonorable.

So how then would the D'Angelos be trading in that same market without consulting the Don? Without receiving the green light to do so? Without the knowledge of the syndicate?

The Italians prided themselves in trading in everything else except child porn and human trafficking. So how dare the D'Angelos go behind Rapheal, and all the other patriarchs, and do something so outrageous? 

It was difficult to think about and even more difficult to deal with. How long had they been trading in this market? How long have they been kidnapping young women and girls from their homes to fuel the movement of that market?

It was all stated in the files, but it was such a shock, it caused those same questions to repeat nonstop in my mind.

My stomach twists in disgust as the thoughts of the many females ripped away from their homes come to mind. 

Suddenly, a sickening thought slams into my stomach like a fist.

"I didn't, I'll put a stop to this petalo." Rapheal mutters looking down at me, his eyes softening when they meet my own, then hardening with resolve.

"The first time I was taken here, you said I should consider myself blessed, because if it were any other man my father had stolen from, my sister and I would've been strung up somewhere, watching each other get raped and humiliated infront of evil men." I slowly draw away from him, my walls of defense going up.

"Tell me Don, please. You knew nothing of this. I want the truth." I mutter lowly, my voice breaking as my words spill from my lips. I had taken a large leap questioning Raphael the way I just had, but I felt as if I had to. I had to know the truth, I had to know, that the man I had given my trust to, my loyalty to, didn't lie to me about something so serious.