Chapter 04.

I was escorted back to my new bedroom with the taste of my heart in my mouth.

My breathing was shallow, and my eyes felt dry.

Dimitri, the man I had assumed was a capo and later found out he was in fact one, was speaking to me.

Giving me my first set of instructions, but I could not hear him. His voice sounded warbled and distant. All I could hear, see and think about was the video that was shown to me of my little sister locked in a cell, with her head tucked fearfully between her legs crying for me, sobbing my name in despair.

Begging me to be her heroine one more time and rescue her from whatever hell these men were kepping her in.

Three days, I had passed out for three whole days after these men were sent to my home where they murdered my mother and took my sister.

Three days.

" — By 8pm, no later." I hear Dimitri rumble behind me as we come to a stop at the door of the room I would occupy.

I push the door open and turn to sneer at him, before dramatically slamming the door in his face.

I lock myself inside the room and slide down the door, my head held in my hands as I fight tears for the first time in three whole days.

The experience I had only moments ago with the Don had shaken me to the core, and had given me the wake up call of a lifetime.

Just when you thought your life couldn't possibly be any shittier, he would go about showing you how foolish, and how much of an illusion that train of thought was, when he held the last bit of your sanity in the palm of his hands.

He held power over me and he knew it, he knew that by keeping Scarlette away from me with only a few commands I wouldn't hesitate to follow through, and execute his wishes as long as he promised to keep Scarlette safe.

I had to do what he asked of me whether I liked it or not, because he held the only thing that was keeping me rooted right now, and he knew it.

He knew, that even if I wanted to try and rebel I wouldn't, not when he had my sister at his disposal.

He hadn't asked of me anything I hadn't already conditioned my mind to do – but I could see where all he wanted me to do would lead me.

Either to a slow and painful death, or living in fear of my life, for the rest of my days.

He knew everything about anything there was supposed to know about me, Scarlette, Pierre and mother.

He knew of my skills with computers and technology, he had compared it to that of my father's, and I got quite angry – irrationally, at the comparison.

I struggled to hide my anger, but the switch in my breathing, and the twitch of my left eye gave me away, and like a sensory detector he had easily pointed it out.

—Flashback—

"Despite my history Kylie, I like to think of myself as a reasonably generous man. I just – don't like to be cheated of my generosity. Do you understand Kylie?"

"I do." I mutter lowly, meeting his sharp blue eyes.

He smiles at me but it doesn't quite reaches his eyes. He strokes my cheek tenderly before turning my face left and right, examining me.

"It is a shame – your father failed to have realise that Kylie."

"He isn't my father."

"Oh? Then who is he?" I tense at his question, blood rushing to my head.