Chapter 26.

Dominic

—Three Days Later—

I didn't know how, or what I was expecting to feel when I first became godfather, but this wasn't it.

In all honesty, it all felt like any other day, just that this time around instead of taking orders, I would be dishing them out. The work load was much more too, and mentally I had to exercise my mind to take on the tasks that laid ahead of me. That being everything my father left behind after stepping down from the position after so many years.

Being godfather was overrated, and this only came from having the title three days later.

Rapheal hadn't wasted any time. After the title was passed on, he was on the first flight out of the country the next morning with no word of when he'd be back, or where he was going.

I knew I'd hear from him soon however, and I was just glad he had given me a concise rundown of every document, and file he'd leave for me to take over immediately after taking on the title.

Most of the projects we had I was already familiar with anyways, and just needed to run a few updates on. This was easy enough, and I was done within just a few hours.

Sitting behind my father's desk, I felt almost untouchable. This was mine now, this room, this chair, this desk. It was all mine.

I hear a knock at my door and I bellow for the person on the other side to enter. In steps Pheobe with a neutral look on his face.

"Godfather suits you." She mutters, breaking into a small smile, and I stand from behind my desk to meet her across the room.

"Thank you for coming Pheobe." I mutter softly, pulling her into a hug.

"Of course darling. When the Don calls, as his consiglier, I must answer." She mutters before pulling away from our hug, and then looks up at me expectantly.

"That's why I called you here actually." I mutter, holding her at arms length and meeting her wise eyes.

"Okay..." She breathes, using her right hand to grip one of my owns as she nudges me on encouragingly.

"Since Uncle Theo's death, you've taken on his role as consiglier to my father. And now that my father is no longer Don, I want to update the Gambino's administrative body." I mutter diplomatically, and she exhales in understanding before smiling at me.

"That's only natural." Pheobe mutters, looking as though a heavy weight had been lifted off her shoulders. I smile at this, and invite her to have a seat at one of the chair infront the desk, while I take my own seat behind it.

"Do you know who you want to take over my role?" She asks conversationally, and I nod.

"Well, Viktor of course. He's my right hand, he's been with me the longest, and even though it's never been discussed, I imagine that since we were children, it was always assumed that once I become Don he would be my consiglier." I mutter conversationally, stroking my chin thoughtfully, as I look at her, waiting to hear her response.

"Well, you certainly aren't wrong about that. And, your underboss?" She asks, learning forward.

"Giovanni, of course." I mutter immediately, and she nods in approval.

"Hm, seems like a pretty solid team to me."

"You want to say something else." I mutter lowly, as I observe her face change from an expression of approval to one of apprehension almost simultaneously.

"I know you've only just become Don, and Rapheal hasn't had the conversation with you yet, despite my constant encouragement to do so, but..."

"But?" I mutter anxiously, cutting off her lengthy speech. Pheobe sighs, and pins me with a motherly stare before going straight into what she was earlier trying to say.