Chapter 8 Life's A Wild Ride

People rush by, hurrying to get to their vehicles. A couple of hours ago I was excited to continue on my trip. Now I just want to stay somewhere for a while. I pull out my phone and switch to Pictures. There are 5 pictures taken by Hunter himself. Out of all the pictures only one turned out where I don't look crazy or drunk. He looks fine in all of them, a little sweaty maybe, but perfectly happy and excited.

I decide to send a copy to Sarah when I write to her. She'll flip. When I look up I realize I am all alone. There's not a person in sight- it's eerie. I stand up and shrug on my pack, trying to remember where I parked. I wander toward the direction of the parking lots. It's half after midnight. I am greeted by a dark and empty space. It shouldn't be hard to find my van as long as I can see. I use my flashlight on my cell phone. Nope- not in this lot.

I am crossing to a forth lot when my phone battery goes out. I let out a squeak as I am thrown into darkness.

I trip over a curb and fall hard on my knees. I hear a revving motor and I let my fear take over. I just want to find my van. I just want to sleep. I am starting to panic, and I am freaking out now and I'm not sure how to calm down.

The noise gets louder and suddenly I am blinded. I throw my arm up to try to block out the strong light that hits my eyes. It is a giant bus that has turned onto the road. I realize I am still on the road, and I struggle to stand up but I am not quick enough. I am going to get hit!

The driver must be paying attention because I hear the breaks squeal and it stops less than 4 feet from where I am limping, I would have come up a couple seconds short. I breath a sigh of relief. I wave at the bus driver, sitting myself down on the curb, examining my scrapes, catching my breath. The vehicle doesn't move though; instead the driver shifts it into park and opens the door.

"Hey, you alright?" he shouts over the engine, coming around the front of the hood.

"Yeah, thanks," I reply, managing to find my voice. "And thanks for seeing me." I unzip my backpack for my first-aid kit.

"Hey," a muffled voice comes from the cab of the truck. "What's going on?" Someone jumps off the bus and stands behind the driver. Standing directly in the headlight beams.

"Sorry man, just stopping to make sure I didn't run this little lady over." He turns, directing his attention back to me. "What are you doing out here anyway? Are you homeless or something?"

I straighten up, the rubbing alcohol wipe stinging my knees. I suck in a breath through my teeth.

"No, I'm just lost. I can't find my van and my phone died so I am officially stuck out here in the dark." I can't seem to stop the anger from creeping into my tone. It is now after one and I am exhausted.

"Hey, it's cool man, I'll take care of this. Can you go get a flashlight?" the other guy says. The driver heads back for the door.

I pull my pack on and stand. "Thanks, it's nice to meet a kind carni," I joke.

"It is, but I'm not a carnival person," he chuckles, stepping out of the blinding light, closing the distance between us.

'Wait, I know that voice.' His face comes into focus, out of the lights. "H-Hunter?" I stammer. This can't be real. My luck isn't that bad- well maybe it is.

"Yeah. Oh, I remember you..." he snaps his fingers, "hold on, I'll get it."

Several seconds pass, "Ellie" I offer up under my breath.

"Yes! Sorry, I should have remembered."

I snort. 'Very becoming,' I tell myself. "You met a bunch of people; I don't expect you to remember my name."

"But I have met you before, in... Minnesota, right?"

I inwardly freeze. 'Oh no, he remembers.' "Uh-huh. Sorry, you seem to always seem to show up in my darkest moments." I stare at my shoes. "I promise I'm not always this pathetic."

"You're not pathetic, just a little uncoordinated." He's grinning.

That grin, it totally disarms me. "I've been kicking myself for months now; I can't believe I didn't recognize you. I'm a huge fan." I had to get that off my chest. I'm hoping it makes up for the annoying moments I am causing in this guy's life.

"No problem. It's nice to be treated like a total stranger every once and a while."

The driver has returned. He holds a giant flashlight out to me. "Thank you." I take it. "And thanks again for not hitting me."

He winks. "Any time. Come on, Hunter; we've gotta hit the road."

"In a minute." He gestures to the bus. "Be right there." He turns to me. "You going to be okay?"

"Yes, hey let me give you something for the flashlight." I stuff my hand in my pocket.

He puts his hand on my arm. "Don't worry about it."

He leads me across the road before heading for the door to the cab. "Have anything to add to my character?" He calls at me, half in half out of the bus.

"Uh," I am confused, 'oh wait, my writing.' "Growing in volumes," I yell, smiling back. Then I watch as they drive away, he waves from a lighted side window and I end up waving back. Then I shine the beam around and start to walk, my van isn't going to find itself.

10 minutes later I decide parking lot 4 is my lucky place. I find my silver, Toyota van sitting right were I left it. Getting in, I plug in my phone directly and flick on my inside lights. It's one-forty but sleep promises to evade me until I get all of my day's stories down in my notebooks, safe and sound. I'm now excited for the next leg of my trip.

I fall asleep an hour later, crawling into a pile of my clean clothes that took over my back seat. I'm locked inside my van, dreaming of a bright and wonderful future.