Chapter 32 Lose Your Mind

I can't believe we are half done with the tour. I am also amused to find myself in California again in May. My mind wanders to Sarah, but I am almost certain she's moved somewhere else. I'm praying there will be a letter from her when I get back.

We have a rest day in between shows. I've decided to get a car and drive to my beach. The drive is 3 hours, but I need to see it again.

In a quick, just walking by, conversation I told Hunter my plan. He surprised me by asking to come along. I couldn't refuse, not when he's done so much for me. Besides, that beach is part of the reason I am here. I want to share that good memory.

The leisurely driving is a pretty nice change of pace. The day is bright and sunny. I roll down my window and let my fingers dance through the rushing air.

Hunter's driving- I offered but he wouldn't let me. He claims the driver gets control of the radio. I'm fine with that; most of his taste is compatible with mine. And I don't care if my voice is sub-par compared to his, I sing along with the radio as loud as I can. It could be my imagination but the coast line seems to look familiar as we get closer.

"Some things never change." I sigh as Hunter switches around on the radio stations. At my words his fingers press the button to turn off the music.

"Are you happy about that or regretful?" There's a hitch in his voice and I turn and look at him.

"Both. I mean, if things never really changed I would still be in Medford and you would be engaged to Libby." We both wince at her name. "With the amount of change that I've gone through in the past year I think I'm even more grateful for the things in my life that didn't change..."

"But would a change really be so bad?"

"Depends on what it is, having stability is wonderful but the unexpected is what really is exciting." I grin at Hunter.

"What am I then? Am I stability or the unexpected?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out." I say quietly as Hunter pulls up to the beach, I let out a small shout of excitement. Before Hunter has a chance to put the car in park, I am out of it and running to the sand.

"Hey!" Hunter calls. "Want your bag?"

I've reached the sand now and I turn, hopping on one foot, trying to get my shoes off.

"Please?" I ask.

My shoes are off and I toss them aside.

"Wow, you're really excited aren't you?"

Hunter joins me on the beach. There are maybe a dozen people within earshot but no on has recognized Hunter, yet.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you behind."

"Hey, whatever. So what do you want to do first?"

"This way." I'm off at a great pace, looking for something. I'm just not sure what.

I stop short. This is the right spot. The sand is worn smooth by the waves, but I know. A year ago a sand castle stood on this spot. I lean down and swirl "Sarah + Robert" in the sand with a heart around it.

"This is the reason I went to your concert," I say into the sand, knowing Hunter is standing over me.

"Really? And how's that?"

"A little girl, I've told you about Sarah. She told me about your concert. I'd wanted to see you perform since the first time I heard you sing, so I decided it was the perfect time to go."

"Glad you did."

Something about his voice makes me look up. He's staring at me with a look I've never seen before. I feel uncomfortable, I need to change the subject.