Chapter 30 Slowly Letting Go

Touring is so much fun! I get a rush of excitement and energy with every stop. I'm working with the Coffee House crew; setting up and tearing down. It's a lot of hard work, not much time for rest, we rest when we travel.

It was good for me to get away. I thank Hunter everytime I get the chance. The others on the tour are super nice and all close-knit. I've become 'part of the family.'

Hunter's tour rolls into Minnesota on April 11th, 2015. Like a trip wire I am hyper-aware from the second we cross the state lines. We won't be going anywhere near Medford, but I can still feel it. I even know the roads we take- no GPS required. I guess there's a little Minnesota left in me after all.

Setting up Coffee House in Minneapolis is one of the strangest things I have ever done. I realize how my life has completely changed. I went from 'going to the cities for the weekend for fun' to 'visiting an arena to help a country star set up for his show' in just a little over a year.

When preparation is finished, I take my leave. I've got a couple of hours to go chill, collect my thoughts. I take my backpack and start walking.

The streets are the same as I remember from when my mom and I came here last. We saw some old time rock band- I don't remember their name. This place may be the same, but something's different. I am different.

I reached for the stars and now hold them in the palm of my hand. I'm living my dreams.

-----

The concert is amazing, one of the best I've heard. Everything feels new and refreshing since my walk this afternoon. Each song Hunter sings has new meaning.

'Flashlight.' I connect with that song in a way I never have before. It beats through my ears and nestles itself in my heart. As we pack up Coffee House I find myself humming along with each song. We can hear them loud and clear; even not really being there feels like I am there.

I don't get to talk to Hunter much. He's always with the band, on the band's bus, practicing, tuning up, with fans. But I don't care. He's showed me that he's a truer-than-true friend buy offering me this opportunity.

I am excited for the county fair we are playing in Missouri this weekend. As we pull into the town I take it in, the small, beautiful town with quiet people and earthy smells coming from every which way. The staff has the day off due to the fact that there is no Coffee house and I am the first one to touch the ground. Still, I help unload with the rest.

I set a silver container on the ground and feel a hand on my back. I look up surprised and see Hunter  off to my left. "Hey, just wondering if you'd like to hang out with me and the guys before the show?"

I look beyond him to the cluster of Hunter's band waiting impatiently. "No, I'm good... Maybe later."

"Oh... Okay." He smiles a bit and walks away. I immediately regret my choice, I like Hunter's band but they get to be too much.

I shoulder my backpack and head in the direction of the buildings, on the look out for the antique displays. I don't really need anything but I find a booth that does laser wood carvings. I get an idea and walk up to the young man at the booth. "Excuse me, but do you do faces?"

"Sure do. All you need is a picture. I can scan it and after 2 hours... Vola!" He whips out a photograph and a 3-D carving as big as my hand.

"That is so cool! Um... I don't have a picture... Well I have one on my phone... Would that work?"

"Can I see?" He looks thoughtful.

I pull out my phone and find a picture of Hunter, it was taken a week before the tour started. Hunter's arm is draped over my shoulders and we both stare at the camera, grinning ear to ear. I was just done getting my training and I looked like a mess. My hair falling out of the ponytail and Hunter's hair looking taller than ever.