Chapter 10 Planting Roots

Hello Nashville, Tennessee. I skipped Florida; after the accident I didn't feel like Disney anymore. Maybe sometime in the future but not anytime soon.

After two days of roaming I start placing bids on apartments and looking for work. I can't explain it, but Nashville and I belong together. It speaks to me.

Even though I don't need one, I look for a job; my best ideas come from others, a job is the easiest way to watch others without being weird. And, since I have entered Nashville the ideas just won't stop flowing. Maybe I will write an entire book here, I like the idea of it. Now all I need is inspiration, a million dollar idea.

It's funny- the first night I spend in my new apartment I don't sleep a wink. I spend it sitting on the floor' in the kitchen, under the marble island. Every slight move sets off an echo and I simply marvel, this place is huge! I write to Sarah in between inspirations. I'm excited to tell her she can write back- I have a pen pal. I swear that makes me happier than it should at age 21, but even if she is 10 at least she is a friend.

The next morning I walk into a Starbucks downtown to get my very much needed morning coffee. The familiar sign sent a wave of relief through me. While I like the quaint, non-franchise coffee shops the box store just does it right every time. I'm tired from my lack of sleep and in a bad mood. My night of no sleep has also brought on a headache. The lady serving me is super friendly, her bright smile is blinding.

"Hi, how are you? What can I get for you?" she asks in a singsong southern voice.

"Oh... um, just a tall caramel mocha," I mumble, digging in my pocket for money. She records it on the cup.

"So you're not from around here, are you?"

"Is it that obvious?" I gawk.

"No, I took a chance, plus your voice has an interesting inflection." She winks, "can I get your name for this order?"

"Ellie." I can say my name with a new found confidence.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Kara. So, visiting or moving?"

"Just moved here. I'm from Minnesota."

"Cool, my boyfriend's from there!" She exclaims.

I study her. She's at least in her late 30's, with spiky, red hair and a pale completion. We finish our transaction and I sit in a table by the window with my coffee, thinking about where to start looking for a job. I've never really had to job hunt before. The Diner was my job for 6 years and my mom got me that job.

"Mind if I join you?"

My train of thought is broken and I look up. Kara is standing there, holding a cup of steaming coffee. "I'm on break," she explains.

"Sure."

She sits and directly starts talking about all of the wonderful things Nashville has to offer. It is evident that she loves this place. Conversation slowly turns from her to me. I tell her about my travels and adventures. She seems impressed, even though I know her life experience compared to mine is probably like comparing a sky scrapper to an ant hill.

When her break is over she stands, and so do I. "It was nice meeting you," she says. "So what does the rest of the day hold in store for you?"

"Yeah, you too. I'm off to find a job," I sigh, trying to hide the nervousness from my voice.

"Oh, you're looking for work. What kind?"

"I'm not sure- something part time. I probably will end up waitressing; it's what I know." I shrug.

"You got a résumé?"

The question confuses me. "Yeah." I pull a copy out of my writing notebook. It's not impressive or extensive but it's all I've got.

Kara takes a quick glance. "Okay, you can start on Wednesday."

"What?" I'm completely taken aback. "I don't understand."

"Well, I'm looking for help and you just had an interview. I'm always happy to find someone with waitressing experience."

I can't believe this. Is it even possible? "But I don't even know how long I'm staying. I don't know if you really want to hire me." I know I am burying myself, but I am in shock.

"Hey, I'm a free-spirited manager and my boyfriend's in Starbucks corporate. And to tell you the truth, I don't even know how long I'll be here," she grins.

"Okay, what time do you want me here?" I give into my uncanny fortune.

"Six for training," she says, waving as she goes back behind the counter.

I walk out of the shop with my feet on the ground and my head in the clouds. My headache has been quenched in coffee. And now I have some shopping to do. For the first time ever I have an apartment to fill and I get to decorate it however I want to.

First off, I'm going to find a good, sturdy desk. I've got a book to write.

-----

By Tuesday night I'm cooking dinner for one in my own kitchen with brand new cookware. This is my first home cooked meal since April.

It reminds me of my depression and weight loss. It makes me proud of my recovery.

I turn on Pandora to hear 'Show You Off' by Dan + Shay. I dance around my kitchen while I finish cooking. The spaghetti isn't fancy but it tastes heavenly, because in it I can taste the accomplishment of the last few days. I actually am piecing together a life for myself, I might be able to belong here.

After everything is put away for the night my apartment is deathly quiet. The still bare walls echoing with silence. But I don't mind; I sit down at my newly acquired antique desk and gather my writing implements. I also have a giant comfy chair that I found at a rummage sale. Besides that and a couple of lamps, and my bed, the rooms still sit empty. My footfalls sound around me as I pad over to the chair.

I open my shades to reveal a full-length wall of windows overlooking the city. I am 18 floors up, I stand back for a minute and take it all in. 'Yes, I can call this place home,' I think to myself. Settling into my chair, I start writing by the light of a single lamp. Finally felling like this is where I am supposed to be.