Chapter 11 Familiar Faces

So, being a barista is harder than I thought, but I think I'm getting the hang of it, and, I am meeting a lot more interesting people in Nashville than I did in Medford. After 3 weeks I am learning who's a regular, and who's just passing through. Kara's a hard boss, but she is fair.

Two other girls and one guy work on the same scheduled days that I do. I am still trying to fit in to the dynamic of the team. Courtney is about my age and has a real "whatever" attitude on life; Helen, in contrast, is a middle aged workaholic with frizzy hair and a frizzled personality. The only thing she likes more than work is her cats. John is a bit of a mystery- I can't tell if he's lazy or just tired. He is taking college courses at night, so I'm sure that's a factor.

I also feel a little disconnected because I don't really need to work. It's amazing to not have to worry about cashing your paycheck before your landlord tries to cash your rent. I ignore all calls from my investment banker now, if he wants to get a hold of me he can do so in letters and e-mails. I don't like talking to him.

I fly out the door, checking once more for my keys. Yep, I've got them. I've forgotten them twice already, luckily I have an easy-to-reach super.

Per the usual, I slide in the door just in time to not be late. I let out a sigh. Even though I don't need the job, out of pride, I don't want to lose it.

"Trying something new with your hair?" Courtney asks, eying me from head to toe.

I roll my eyes. She's always cranky in the morning.

I tie my apron on and put my hair up, feeling the tangles in it. I remember, I forgot to comb it! Courtney's snide comment was actually a kind warning.

"Excuse me." She nods and I duck into the bathroom trying to run my fingers through my hair. There, it's a lot better. I tie the untamable dirty-blond quaff back. 'Okay. Much better.' My cheeks still flame thinking of all of the people who saw me walking here.

The first 3 hours are the busiest. By 9 we normally slow down enough to clean up from the morning rush. Courtney leaves around 9 and Kara usually comes in a little after. I don't think Kara likes Courtney very much. Helen, who isn't good with people and works in the back room mostly, has told me bits and pieces.

I look at my watch; it's 9:20 and Kara isn't in yet. I'm not to used to tending the store alone yet, but lucky for me there is absolutely no one in the shop. I jump as the door chime sounds. 'I can do this.'

"One second," I call as I rip a new package of to-go cups open. "Hello; what can I help you wi..." I turn and am taken by complete surprise.

Electric blue eyes. Hidden under a black cap with a bill. But I'd recognize them anywhere.

"Hi there," he studies my face for a second, "Wait a second,... Ellie?"

I nod, unable to form a single word.

"You're not stalking me, are you?" he jokes, "Because if so I'd need to get started on a restraining order."

"No," I giggle. "Nice to see you again Hunter."

"What are you doing here? The last time I saw you was in.... California."

"I have no idea how you remembered that." I shake my head in disbelief. "It's a long story, trust me. So what can I get for you?"

"Uh, a tall, iced caramel latte, please."

"Okay, and what is the name on this order sir?" I hear a teasing hint in my voice that I have never heard before.

"Hunter's fine." He grins. "So are you going to be here for a while or are you going to be following me around while I travel the County Fairs?"

"First off, I am not stalking you," I emphasize. "Secondly, a while I'd imagine... I mean, I've got a job and a place, so I'm kind of stuck," I explain as I begin to prepare his drink.

"Cool, well good for you." He nods several times, Hunter seems just as genuine as he did at the Diner back in December.

"So you've been pretty busy," I comment, keeping the conversation light and flowing.

As I finish up, he enthusiastic starts talking about his next tour, the lighting presentation, he hints as to some exciting new surprises, but he won't give anything away. I decide that I like listening to him talk about music. It sounds like me and writing.

"Here you are." I hand him his mug.

He immediately takes a long pull. I wince but the high temperature doesn't seem to phase him. "Mmm, good job. Guess you're not completely accident-prone."

I blush and look at my feet. "Thanks."

At that moment the door chimes again and Kara rushes in.

"Well, I've gotta get going, but thanks. I'll see you around." He raises his coffee in the air in my direction and walks out of the building.

"Who was that?" Kara asks, rounding the corner, and straightening her green apron.

"That," I pause for dramatic effect, "Was Hunter Hayes."

"Really? That little guy?" she sounds amazed.

"So he's not a regular?" I question, trying to hide the disappointment in my voice.

She catches my tone and looks me in the eye with a bemused look. "I'm not sure, you'll have to let me know." For some reason her emphasis makes me blush.

"Oh, I don't think he'll be coming in here again. He thinks I'm weird," I tell her, wishing I didn't believe it.

"He got all that from a five-minute conversation?"

"No, I've met him before. In the most bizarre situations, I look like more than a freak than ever now."

She ignores my remarks and starts in on work. I follow suit, rubbing my temples. I feel another headache coming on.

The rest of the day is pretty normal. I like not getting hit on by drunks. By 3 I'm ready to get out of here. John came in at noon and has already taken 2 long naps in the back room. "See you tomorrow," I call, shucking my apron and tossing it in the dirty-clothes hamper. I skip out the door and hurry to my van. I've got grocery shopping to do and a couch being delivered to my apartment at 5.