Chapter 24 Changing Perspectives

Libby bounces in the seat next to me.

"Only 2 more hours," I laugh. "You know, you didn't have to fly out of New York."

"Yeah, but I wanted to see Steve almost as badly as you do. Plus, you wouldn't go by yourself, admit it."

"Yes, I know. I owe you big."

Libby plugs her iPhone in. "My turn," she announces.

"Fine, but no more Techno." I put my foot down.

"Whatever, you know you love it." She chooses a song.

"Really?" I laugh at her choice, then we both take a deep breath in, staring at each other in an amused fashion. Time for a lyric battle, the words start and so do we.

🎶
"There's a painting hanging somewhere in Paris
Millions come over to stare at her
But she won't crack a smile, no

An Italian tower leaning like
It's had too much to drink
Still selling tickets like it's going out of style

But when I look at you
I know there's nothing to improve
Because you're perfect girl
Oh oh oh oh
Every little move
And every little groove
Makes me sing
Oh oh oh oh
This world would change a lot about you baby if it could
But looking through the glass that I'm seeing through
I wouldn't change a thing about, a thing about you

Well, I go too fast, think too slow, I change like the weather
I know you could do better
I don't know what you see

You think your hair's too short, your eyes are too green
Girl I don't know what you mean"
🎶

Libby points at me and I blush, turning my attention back to the road. She laughs at me and I continue to sing.

🎶
"Not that you are but if you're asking me

When I look at you
I know there's nothing to improve
Because you're perfect girl
Oh oh oh oh
Every little move
And every little groove
Makes me sing
Oh oh oh oh
This world would change a lot about you baby if it could
But looking through the glass that I'm seeing through
I wouldn't change a thing about, a thing about you

Every little imperfection only makes you you

And when I look at you I know there's nothing to improve, you're perfect girl

When I look at you
I know there's nothing to improve
You're perfect girl
Oh oh oh oh
And every little move
And every little groove
Makes me sing
Oh oh oh oh
This world would change a lot about you baby if it could
But looking through the glass that I'm seeing through
I wouldn't change a thing about, a thing about you

No, I wouldn't change a thing
I wouldn't change a thing, baby
I wouldn't change a thing"
🎶

By the end we're in a singing competition for the loudest voice. Instead of accuracy we are trying to drown the other out, and we are both laughing as hared as we're singing.

New York, New York, here we come.

-----

Steve's drummer, Joshua, meets us at the back door with our back stage passes. This time the rolls are reversed. I'm the girlfriend of the famous star and Libby's my tag-along friend.

We walk in and toward the clusters of people, then I spot Steve.

I am barely aware of the stares I receive as I run to Steve and throw my arms around his neck. He lifts me and spins me around, kissing me. I don't care if it makes others uncomfortable; I haven't seen him all of December.

"Hi," I say as he sets me down, "missed you."

"Missed you too. Hi Libby," he waves over my head. "Thanks for bringing her."

"Actually, she brought me."

"Well, thank you. I'd love to stay and talk but we've got meet and greet." He pulls away and grabs my hand. "do you want to watch or should I drop you off where there's food?"

I look at Libby, silently asking which she would prefer. I receive a noncommittal shrug.

"I wanna watch you mingle." I grin up at him.

"Alrighty then." He leads us through the building to the crowd of fans waiting for him.

The second we walk in, cheering erupts. And my face flushes. At least 50 people waiting are girls between the ages of 13-20. all of their eyes latch right onto Steve's hand holding mine. I drop his hand like it's on fire.

Through the cheering I step back as Steve strolls to his spot. I stand next to Libby. Resisting clutching her arm for support.

"So, this is what it feels like," I say to Libby, feeling short of breath.

She doesn't respond other than a slight nod, eyes staring straight ahead. I take a deep breath as icy stares keep shooting in my direction.

"How do you do it?" I can't stop myself from asking.

"Honestly, I'm not sure. I put on a brave face and cheery smile and remember that he loves me. Plus, the fans make his dreams come true. I love them for that."

"I guess I'm not used to having other girls want what I have."

"Whatever. You deserve him, just focus on that."

"Okay, I'm done. Let's go find a place to hide." I try to start moving, grabbing her arm as I turn.

Libby yanks me back, holding firmly to my hand. "No, stand your ground. Show them you care. They respect you for it."

Since I have no other choice I take her advice. I smile at each person that looks at me and I don't back down. Libby and I stand there until the line is over.

"I've got to go for hair and touch up," he tells us, embracing me.

"Okay, go... I'll be waiting."

He smiles and walks off.

"That was hard," I tell Libby.

"It gets easier. I promise."

I breathe a sigh of relief and nod. I believe her, I have to.

_____

I close my eyes, listening to Steve's strong and twangy voice singing "Perfect Weather."

The night has been just perfect. Libby and I have to leave right after he's done so we can get her to her flight on time.

Steve finishes and runs off stage.

"How was I?" He asks, looking positively radiant.

"Wonderful, just wonderful!" I say enthusiastically, meaning it with my whole being . "Hey, I've got to get going, but I'll meet up with you later?"

"I'll be waiting. I'd hug you but I'm all sweaty."

I don't care. I dive straight into his arms. 2 more months of touring; I'm not giving up a single chance to he held.

After a quick kiss we are off. "Bye, love you," I say over my shoulder. I can't hear his reply as we are swallowed up by the backstage crowd.

_____

"Well, this is as far as I go." We are standing in front of security. "Sorry Hunter couldn't come." I apologize for the tenth time.

"He had a charity thing; it's no big deal."

"Have a good trip." I pull her into a tight hug.

"Thanks... watch out for Hunter, okay?"

"I'll try." I grin at her. "He's pretty hard to handle when you're not around."

She laughs. I stand and watch as she enters a security line, and her small frame disappears into the sea of people.

'This is going to be a long 3 weeks.' I think to myself.