Chapter 28 Everything Changes in an Instant

On the way to meet Libby I drop off 3 copies of my book at the post office: one for my publisher, one for Hunter, and one for Libby. By the time they finish it, they will be headed straight for their own happy ending.

I've been too embarrassed to apologize to Hunter, it's been the worst two days of my life, even worst than when my mother died. Because with her I left things without any problems between us. With Hunter... I'm afraid I've ruined everything and won't ever hear from him again. This morning I finally maned up and texted him. So far there's been no response.

I walk into the small coffee shop where Libby and I decided to meet.

"Hi! How was your trip?" I greet her with a hug.

"Oh, it was fantastic you would have loved it, here I have pictures!" We settle into our seats and she tells me all about France. I check her left hand- no ring yet.

She must realize I am not really paying attention. She stops and directly changes the subject.

"Okay El, what's up? You stopped returning my calls. You don't look very good, and you haven't been acting like yourself. And Hunter won't tell me anything."

I take a deep breath. I expected this question. But I didn't think it would be so hard to play it down. "It's nothing. I'm just a little depressed... Steve and I are done."

"I'm so sorry! What happened? I mean, you and Steve were doing so well."

Suddenly I feel drained. I can't keep this inside any longer. I spill out the whole story, blubbering like an idiot. It's the first time I've said the whole thing out loud.

Libby stays completely silent- she doesn't say a word. I keep going, even telling her about not eating and Hunter's help and how I yelled at him. When I finish I feel an unexpected rush of relief.

"Wow," she replies. "I am sorry, I had no idea."

Her simple words mean so much to me. She goes on to console me and reassure me that Hunter will not hold my outburst against me. I am so relieved.

She naturally changes the subject and I am glad. I think I am done. I am officially over Steve. Sure, it still hurts, but I am not going to pine for him anymore, no more tears.

When we are about ready to leave she leans in and talks in a quieter, more pointed way.

"El, I need to talk to you about something."

I can't tell if what she is going to say will be good or bad. I brace myself for the worst. "Okay?"

"I have been offered a job for ELLE."

"Libby, that's fantastic!..."

She holds up her hand, cutting me off.

"In France."

"What? How long will you be gone?"

"No... well you see, it's kind of a permanent thing."

"But what about...?!" I trail off, I almost said 'your wedding.' But I catch myself. "Hunter?" I finish weakly.

"Well, I haven't decided if I am taking the job yet. I am going to talk it over with Hunter later."

I raise my eyebrows. I can't believe she told me first. My heart sinks like a stone. I reassure myself, Hunter will make her stay; he'll propose and she'll accept and stay.

With my prolonged silence stretching out, Libby continues, "When Hunter and I started dating we agreed that we wouldn't get in the way of each other's dreams. And I don't even know if I'll go," she repeats, "Hunter and I have to figure this out together."