Chapter 16 Dates

I turn again, taking in my outfit in the mirror in my room, "Are you sure?" I talk into my phone, which sits on my bed, speaker phone on.

"Don't you trust me?" Libby scolds, a laughing hint in her voice.

"I would if you'd actually seen the outfit in person," I call at her.

The blue, t-length, cotton dress is a little daring; I'm wearing black leggings and fancy winter boots. My hair has been painstakingly curled and my makeup was done with a careful, but shaky hand.

I look myself over one more time before clasping the gold chain with my mom's wedding ring on it around my neck. I draw in a shaky breath.

"I heard that," Libby says. "You're going to have a fantastic time."

"I am brave," I mutter to myself.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"You'd better get going. You are going to be late."

"Yeah, I know." I pick up the phone.

"Call me later and tell me all about it."

I giggle nervously. "Thanks Libby, we'll see; bye."

"Bye."

I hang up and run out the door, swinging my coat over my shoulders.

We meet at the restaurant; he's already waiting at the table. I feel completely under dressed for this place. He waves me over.

"Hey," he says, standing and pulling out my chair for me.

Chivalry- I like it. I take the seat.

"Thank you." I pick up my menu, looking at him over it. His eyes are brown, light brown like milk chocolate, and his mouth is a bit crooked; I can't tell if he's smiling at me or not.

We exchange small talk, then we order. This guy oozes confidence. Suddenly I'm not sure what to talk about. Libby has instructed me on how to keep from talking myself into an awkward corner. She was completely sympathetic when I worked up the nerve to tell her about my little, and very bad, dating experience.

"So, tell me about yourself, why'd you choose Nashville. As a writer, what does this town offer to you?"

Ah, a normal first date question that I am prepared to answer. "I really connected with this place; like I said, I've been traveling around for the last couple of months and Nashville just grabbed onto me and held on. I love it here."

He nods in agreement. "This town has a way of doing that."

I smile, things seem to be going well.

By the end of the meal I have learned that his favorite color is red, he is 26, he has 3 older brothers, all living close around his parents. He talks about his climb up the music industry's ladder and that he's working on a deal with a recording company, with a headlining tour in the works.

He knows that my favorite color is blue, that I am an only child, that I just turned 22, and am getting some stories published. I tell him that I wish I was taller than 5'7" but hate wearing heals to achieve greater height. I tell him about my trek to Tennessee, and about meeting Hunter. He seems impressed. I don't breath a word about Libby and Hunter's connection though; that information stays with me.

After we leave the restaurant we just walk up and down the sidewalk, for about 6 blocks. It's mid- September and there's almost no chill in the night air. We slowly meander down the street and talk until we've rounded our way back to my van.

My palms are sweating like crazy now. I've never officially ended a date before. I have no idea what to do. 'What if he wants to kiss me?' I don't like that idea at all. But, now that it's in my head I can't get it out.

"Ellie?" He asks, "where did you go? Your mind seems like it's somewhere else."

I shake my head, silencing the thoughts and bringing myself back to the outside world.

"Nowhere, just thinking."

I keep my hands shoved into the pockets of my coat. My fingers itch to take out the mini notebook from my purse, say all of the things I want to, clearly spell out my thoughts and emotions on paper. But I can't. I have the sudden urge to laugh at myself. I'm such a strange person. We stop in front of my car.

"I had fun tonight," I say, looking at my boots.

"So did I; I'm glad you called."

"Me too." I manage to look up into his eyes.

"Drive safe." He smiles and turns to go.

"Maybe we could do this again sometime?" I call after him, not wanting this to be the last time I see him.

He turns around, a smile showing clearly on his face. "I would like that."

I can read his face. He wanted me to do that. He's figured out not to push me, that I don't like being pressured. I didn't know anyone would ever learn that. I get in my car and sit there, holding my keys. Trying to calm my swirling thoughts. My mini notebook comes out now, and I write as fast as I can. I can't calm down and until I empty my brain out on paper I don't trust myself to drive.

.....

Work for the rest of the week goes smoothly. I annoy everyone with my sing-song, wishy-washy attitude. I am in a constant texting conversation with either Libby, or Steve.

By Friday I am excited. I have a second date with Steve, tomorrow afternoon. And next Friday Hunter, Libby, and I are going out to celebrate my writing triumph.

I fall asleep smiling and wake up happy. 'I could get used to this.'

Steve picks me up at 3. He drives a beat up 94 Chevy pickup. All he told me was to dress casually.

Unfortunately, I woke up with a splitting headache. But I am too excited to cancel.

He drives to a park; the whether is beautiful. We find a bench and sit and talk, but my head is throbbing and it's getting harder to listen to his voice.

"Hey, you okay?" His concern cuts through the fog in my brain.

"Um... I'm not sure," I sludge. I take a deep breath in, trying to clear my head, but everything just seems to be getting darker. "I think I need to go home now." I try to stand but my knees buckle. I feel the ground meet my body before I black out.