Chapter 18 Reservations

A bag of oranges falls to the ground while I'm shifting to punch in the security code for the building. I exclaim an unkind insult at the heavy, bag as I lean down to pick it up, causing the loaf of bread on top of my paper bag to tumble out. It just hasn't been my day. I was planning on making Steve a nice dinner tonight at my place but I am seriously considering canceling.

"Need a hand?"

I look over in surprise and see Hunter walking up the stairs to my building. "I didn't know you were back yet." My eyes must be open wide, he reaches me and stoops down to retrieve my items.

"Got in last night. Just thought I'd stop by and say hi."

"Hi."

Instead of handing my things back he tucks the bread under his arm and takes the oranges from me. "Here, you've got full enough hands as is."

"Thanks." I smile at his generous offer. Then we walk to the elevator.

"How was your trip?"

"Fun, I'll let Libby tell you about it when we go out to dinner."

"What you can't tell me?" I try to tease it out of him.

"Oh I could but she would never forgive me. How are things with you?" He looks over at me.

"Nothing much to report on... Oh, I haven't had any more fainting issues. Guessing that's what you were after." I grin.

"Good, I wasn't too keen on catching you before you hit the floor and then having you blame me for your ruined produce." He bangs the bag of oranges against his leg and I let out a small laugh.

"I already did a number on those things!"

"Well in that case, faint away."

"Why do guys insist on joking about stuff like that? Steve's been after me as well.

The doors open and we exit the lift, making our way down the hallway. "So... Steve... That's going good?"

I smile, my head ducked and face hiding behind some of my hair, I'm glad it hangs loose because I must look completely ridiculous. "Uh huh."

"Cool."

Hunter's tone doesn't sound cool though and I wipe the grin off of my face so I can look at him. "What's wrong with Steve?"

"I didn't say anything."

"Yeah, you said something, one word and it didn't sound like you really meant it."

"Why do girls put so much emphasis in the details?" He sighs and cracks a small smile.

"Because we like to know just what's going on." I set down the grocery bags and reach in my pocket. But my keys aren't there. I'm about to go through my purse when a image comes to me clear as day.

"What?" Hunter takes in my shock and his face gives way to confusion.

I burst out laughing. "Third time was not the charm. Maybe the forth one will be... My keys are sitting right where I left them, on the island in the kitchen." I explain as I pull out my phone to call Jeff. My super must be getting super annoyed with me by now but hey, I don't clog the garbage disposal and I never complain about my neighbors loud television so I figure it evens out. After he gives me a half an hour estimation I lean against the door and slide down until I'm sitting on the floor among my bags. "You don't have to wait you know." I look up at Hunter.

"No, it's cool. I don't have anywhere to be for an hour..." He checks his watch. "So, this happens a lot?" He sits next to me on the floor.

"Seems to. I don't know why, I never had this trouble back in my old apartment." I shake my head at my feet.