Chapter 20 The CMA's

"Almost done?" I ask, walking into the living room, being careful not to spill the container of freshly popped popcorn.

"I've just about... done!" Steve Calls from the floor. I hit the power button on the remote and am rewarded with a blast of sound and picture.

"Hurry up," I call as Steve strolls into the kitchen to get our drinks. "It's starting?"

I curl up on the couch in sweats and a hoodie as I watch people in sparkling and spiffy clothes. 'I love the CMA's!'

"Miss anything?" Steve joins me on the couch and I shift to snuggle next to him.

"Nothing yet, but shh." I hold up the popcorn so he can grab some.

I may not watch much T.V., but when I do I am completely absorbed, and tonight I'm watching for specific people, so my eyes are glued to the screen.

"AHH, LOOK, LOOK, LOOK!" I scream like a moron, jumping up and sending popcorn flying. Right there on the television I see Hunter and Libby.

By the time I've jumped up they are gone.

"What?" Steve questions, completely perplexed by my outburst.

"You didn't see?" I ask, completely disappointed.

"No, I was looking at my phone. What?"

I make an angry sound in the back of my mouth. "Just... never mind!" I start laughing and I can't answer. Libby looks super nervous; I could see it in her eyes, and her face is stone hard. But she still looks fabulous. Hunter looks dapper as always.

I start cleaning up spilled popcorn off of the floor and couch. By the first commercial break I have it all cleaned up and I offer to make some more.

The rest of the evening is much calmer. Each time it cuts to commercials Steve and I talk a little more. Mostly about his upcoming tour.

We try working out schedules so we can see each other between a few concert dates, but I still don't like thinking about it. 3 and ½ months apart, it's going to feel like an eternity.

"Wow," he says, looking at the piece of paper I've been sorting time on. "We are super organized. Go us."

I smile at his flat-line tone. "It's all coming together. And you deserve it."

"I, I still can't believe it's finally happening. I get to perform; I get to tour."

"You've worked so hard for this. You are so amazing!"

"Thanks, babe. I..."

"Oh, shh, it's back on." I whip the remote at the T.V. and unmute it.

He respects me and shuts up- until a song he must know comes on. He starts singing it out loud. I giggle and push him playfully.

Apparently he decided this is encouragement. He starts singing louder and picks me up off the couch, dragging me around the living room in some weird, goofy dance.

"Stop," I laugh, unable to quit.

His eyes dance, and he keeps going until the lyrics run out, then he returns me to my seat.

"What.... haha.... song... wa.... was that?" I gasp out through my labored breathing.

"'Shotgun Rider' you haven't heard it before?"

"Well.... now I... have, or at least... some of it. I was kind of distracted."

"Gee, I wonder why?" He looks at me, eyes wide with innocence. Sending me into another laughing fit.

By the time Hunter is jamming with the Doobie Brothers, I'm feeling sleepy, but jittery. "Shh," I keep having to tell Steve as I sit mesmerized by the T.V. Hunter looks so comfortable up on stage.

"What?" I ask over my shoulder. Steve said something, I think, but I'm leaning forward with complete concentration on the screen. His voice sounded different, harder.

"I said, should I be jealous?"

I look at him, furrowing my brow. He has to be kidding. But when I study his face, I cannot tell- he looks guarded.

"Don't be ridiculous!" I snort to show how completely insane he sounds. "Libby is my best friend!" I say with a defensive edge.

Steve holds up his hands, "Okay, never mind."

"Whatever." I get up and take our dirty dishes into the kitchen. 'Why would he ask me something like that?' I decide something's gotta change. 'Doesn't Steve know how I feel about him?'

"Hungry for anything else?" I call into the living room.

"No, I'm good. I should get going, though." He wanders into the kitchen, eyes fixated on his phone.

"Oh, okay... That's right, you've got an early morning tomorrow." I smile at him. He looks up and, much to my relief, smiles back. 'Okay, he's not mad- I don't think.'

"I'm so glad we got to do this together," I exclaim, walking with him to the door.

"I'm glad. I thought you were mad at me for the whole dancing and singing thing." He bashfully looks at his feet.

I've never seen him look so vulnerable before. Without a second thought I grab his shirt collar and pull, kissing him hard. For a second he tenses up, shocked, then he returns the kiss.

When I pull away I just stare up into his deep, brown eyes. "And now what do you think?" I quietly ask.

"I think, Eliza Helget, you are an interesting and beautiful puzzle." He leans down and kisses my forehead lightly. "Goodnight."

I watch him as he walks down the hall toward the elevator, waving before he disappears down the corner. 'I think I'm falling for him,' I think in a blissful shock. 'I'm falling hard.'