Chapter 31 Spinning Thoughts

I never did get the chance to give Hunter his gift. I kind of don't want to give it to him. The guy messed up, I returned to find the whole picture etched on a board maybe 8 inches by 8 inches. Me and him, I don't know why but the image carved on wood makes me uneasy. I blushed fiercely as I paid the man and shoved the present in my bag.

Today's show is another fair and that means another day off. We are in Washington and I don't mind the spring chill that comes off of the ocean. This week has been chaotic, we did 4 shows in 5 days and most of the crew is looking forward to this break. We haven't really had one since Missouri 2 weeks back, unless you count driving, and I don't.

This fair has more of a carnival feel to it and with the rocky beach right there. It is easy to slip into the crowd and away from everyone. The excitement from the people around me just seem tiring and at the first possible moment I exit from the teams of people walking along the paths. Absentmindedly I stroll towards the rocky beach, leaving the smell of sunscreen and greasy food carts behind.

I decided to skip the show tonight. It's not that I'm getting bored of it, I just needed a break... Time without people surrounding me. Besides, Hunter is performing before the rodeo so there's more of a rush to get him on stage and the less people underfoot the better.

My text alert sounds and I pull my phone out of my pocket.

'No escape. End of the pier, 8:00. Don't worry I will come alone.'

I grin at Hunter's text. Then I send him a quick 'see you then' and disappear into the crowd.

I get to the end of the large wooden dock at quarter to. I sit on the boards  and remove my sandals, letting my feet dangle free in the air. I stare at the water below. Then I breath in the scent of the large body of water and feel the fresh, crisp air on my arms and back as my blue tee shirt moves a little as the wind cascades over me. I pull my backpack over to me and open it, lyrics come to mind.

It started as a poem but soon I'm on the third verse and tying it into a chorus. I've been trying my hand at songs more often as of late.

"What you got there?"

I jump a little and clutch the paper close to my chest. "Hunter! Hi."

"What are you writing?" He fixes his gaze on me.

"Nothing."

"Come on."

"Really Hunter, some notebooks just need to stay private." I laugh.

"Oh I get it. It's your diary... Well I'll get to it eventually."

"No you won't! Now what am I doing here?"

He takes a seat next to me as I return my writing implements to my pack. "Well, we've got nothing to do, and lots of time to do it. I feel like we haven't hung out in ages... Want to have some fun?"

"Of course!"

The sun is starting to set and as it gets lower the world starts turning orange.

"Great! What would you like to do first?"

In response my stomach growls and I look at it sheepishly. "Food? I guess I forgot to eat today."

Hunter chuckles but his eyes flick over my face.

"Honestly, with all of the excitement I just forgot." I shrug it off as I strap on my shoes.

"Alright then." He throws his arm around my shoulders and we stroll towards the booths and crowds. Our feet match stride for stride and of course Half way down Hunter gets an idea.