Chapter 23 House Party

I sit on the couch in Hunter's living room, waiting for Libby to show up. I knew I shouldn't have gotten here so early. Libby talked me into coming, promising to do my makeup and hair at Hunter's before hand.

Hunter comes out of his bedroom, trying to button his cuffs.

"Anything I can do to help?" I ask.

"Uh, yeah, sure. Can you get this?" He holds his cuffs out to me.

"Oh, yeah." I stand, my black, taffeta dress rustles as I stand and adjust the strapless, sweetheart neckline. "Let me see." I button them with ease. "30 instruments. You can play 30 instruments but you can't handle the buttons on your cuffs," I joke, raising one eyebrow at him.

"Well, they don't make music," he scoffs. "What about a girl who can't do her own hair and makeup?"

"Hey." I give his shoulder a slight push. "I can do it; Libby just does it better."

"No argument here." He jumps back as I take a swing at him.

"Don't make me beat you up when I'm wearing a dress."

He reaches out and snags a piece of my hair. I lunge at him and he catches my wrist and spins me around, his arms clasped around me, pinning my arms in front of me.

"Hunter, stop," I giggle.

"Hey guys!" Libby yells, as we hear her walking through the door. Hunter and I spring apart as Libby comes into view. "What in the world have you two been up to?" She asks, seeing my flushed face and the laughter in our eyes.

"You got here just in time." I gasp for air, trying not to laugh, "Hunter was going to do my hair." I point accusingly at him.

He laughs. I feel slightly guilty and am not completely sure why.

She rolls her eyes. "Hunter, what have I told you about trying to do my job?" Her voice drips with sarcasm.

Hunter holds up his hands in a defensive manner. "Sorry, I'll never try it again."

"Okay," she turns her attention to me, "come on. We've got work to do." She grabs my wrist and pulls me into the bathroom.

Half an hour later the caterpillar has turned into a butterfly, and Libby and I descend on the arriving guests.

As the hours pass, I grow more and more lonely. I am meeting all kinds of new people but I don't really know anybody well enough to say anything past small talk. Every so often Libby pulls me into an introduction or Hunter's eyes meet mine from across the room. But each time one of these things happen I feel embarrassed, uncomfortable.

Around 11 I wander into Hunter's studio and sit down on the love seat. He had the door closed so I am alone. I lay back and close my eyes, humming Steve's song, "Perfect Weather." I try calling him but it goes to voice mail. He's performing in Texas tonight, so I'm sure he's still busy. 'Maybe I'll just sit for a minute, then I'll be ready to go back out.'

-----

My eyes slowly open. I feel completely rested. 'Wait, this isn't my bedroom.' I am staring at an unfamiliar ceiling and the back of a soft black couch. I sit up, knocking off the warm blanket that someone must have draped over me. I see... musical instruments? Then I remember; I must have fallen asleep.

I jump up and stretch, my dress swishing around me as I hurry to leave. I'm turning the knob to the front door before I realize I don't have my coat, which contains my keys. I sneak back up the stairs of the entryway and quietly start looking for it. No luck.

"Oh no!" I gasp, remembering I threw my coat in the other bedroom, Hunter's room. There's no way I'm going in there. I'm stuck. I duck into the bathroom, not sure what else to do. I am pleased to see that even though I slept on it, my hair is mostly still intact.