Chapter 12 Someone New

By Thursday I am in a complete state of shock and amazement. Hunter's come in around 9 each day. On Tuesday and Wednesday I had other costumers in at the same time, on Tuesday a couple of girls recognized him and completely freaked out. I found it very interesting to see him react so calmly and kindly to the screaming, gushing fans. I wondered to myself how would have reacted if I would have recognized Hunter right away the first time we met. I would like to think I would have been a bit more composed than those two.

On Thursday Hunter brings a laptop with him and after a brief exchange of polite conversation he sits in the front corner by the window. The shop is completely empty by 9:15 and I'm polishing the pastry display for fingerprints. I have nothing else to do.

Around 9:30 a girl walks through the door and looks around. I walk behind the counter and wait for her to approach. Instead, she sees Hunter, and moves to embrace him. I watch, silently, from behind the counter. Trying to look consumed in reading the sign about gold cards that sits next to the register. My intrigue works to get the better of me but I fight it back, I am determined not to stare.

Together they walk up to the counter. "Hey Ellie, this is my... friend, Libby." His pause is a half second too long and just like that I know, there is more to the relationship than just 'friends.'

"Hi." Libby smiles at me. "A chai latte, please."

I smile back and ring up her order.

"You must come here a lot to be on a first-name basis with the wait staff," she tells Hunter. I catch a hint of amusement in her voice.

I smirk as I begin preparing her latte. My eyes dodging back and forth from the drink to the couple. Hunter looks dumbstruck with puppy love. When he just stands there grinning at her I jump in, "Actually, we've met before. He saved my life last December."

The over exaggeration snaps him back. "That's a bit of an overstatement; I'll tell you about it later."

She grins back, "K, well I'm going to the restroom. Be back in a second." I can tell she resists leaning over to him, for a split second she jerks forward and then away, as if she forgot they were in public. I would have thought she was going to kiss him, instead she smiles wide and glances over at me before disappearing down the hallway to the bathrooms.

I finish her drink and place it on the pick up ledge. Hunter grabs it. I lean forward, unable to resist. "Just friends?" I question, wagging my eyebrows at him.

He laughs bashfully. "What? Not a convincing act?"

"Let's just say, it's a good thing I'm not a gossip." My eyes roll and I pull back, grabbing a washcloth to wipe up a small spill.

"Thanks. You know, we've kept it pretty quiet. Our families and friends know, and apparently waitresses that keep falling into my life... Although, maybe I should start thinking of us as friends now."

I blush and look down. "No problem, I respect privacy. Everybody's got the right to have secrets." I then smile more from within than my face shows, I'm proud to be trusted, to be considered his friend.
"Guess my character just got a bit more interesting," he hints.

I keep my face guarded as I reply, "Yeah, but now I have to create a whole new character in your story. You just made my work twice as hard. I would have liked a little foreshadowing."

He studies my face for a second longer than I am comfortable with, then he laughs, "Happy to help, anything to make your plot more interesting."

At that moment, Libby returns, it was clear what took her so long, her makeup carefully applied. She looks even more drop-dead gorgeous. "Ready?" Hunter asks her, handing her drink and walking over to his seat to collect his computer.

"It was nice meeting you," She says drinking from her take-out cup, leaving a perfect, soft pink lip print on the cover. "This is good," she remarks, her eyes widening.

"I'm glad you like it." I am touched by the complete honestness of her compliment. Hunter calls out for Libby and she runs to join him as he stands by the door.

"See you around," Hunter says to me, waving as they duck out the door.

Kara comes through the door Hunter is holding open.

"What was that all about?" She asks, gesturing over at the closed door.

"Oh, nothing." I shrug, keeping my gaze trained at the espresso machine as I polish it. I change my tone and add, "you wouldn't have to ask if you bothered coming in regularly anymore." I sound annoyed, but I'm just trying to change the subject.

"Excuse me for having a life," she exclaims.

"Sorry, I'm just a little bit testy today. John called and he's not coming in so I was planning on staying until 8."

Kara rolls her eyes. "At least he called this time. But don't worry about it; I'll get a replacement, unless you need the cash."

I pounce on her offer. Relief floods through me. I've got a lot of work to get done for my book I have a solid idea going, but suddenly I'm not really sure of it's direction. I've got a long night ahead of me.