Chapter 22 Behind The Scenes

London, Ontario is cold in December; it reminds me of Minnesota. I haven't thought about Minnesota in a long time. The fact hits me like a punch in the face. I met Hunter just about a year ago. I never would have dreamed in a million years that I'd be standing backstage at one of his concerts, or that I would be lucky enough to call myself his friend.

Libby stands next to me; she has stuck pretty close the whole day. I am getting a taste of what it is like to be a musician's girlfriend. It's definitely a change in pace. The last three weeks have been boring and lonely. Everyone is out touring, and I have been writing until my hand is too cramped to hold a pen.

I also received my finished and published stories. I got a few copies of the book, one for Kara, one for Hunter, one for Libby, one for Steve. I've also already sent one to Sarah and Noah. Hunter even asked for me to sign his. Without missing a beat, I joked back that I would only do it if he signed my 'Storyline' CD. He agreed; then he wouldn't accept the book until he made good on our deal. The ridiculousness of the whole thing is hilarious, but I'm going along with it. Having friends is fun.

"Having fun yet?" Libby jokes, breaking my train of thought, nudging my side.

"This is so cool!" I respond enthusiasticly.

I've gotten to meet Hunter's band. Apparently my reputation precedes me. I am known as 'the cross country stalker' funny guys.

Coffee House was interesting to say the least. I saw more than 50 young girls fawning all over Hunter. I don't blame them- after all they are just living out a dream.

But poor Libby. I don't know if I could stand there and watch as one by one those girls hugged Hunter, some kiss his cheeks, they tell him how much they love him. I can't imagine watching girls do that to Steve. For the hundredth time, I hold back from asking Libby how she does it. I'm sure I can figure out how she copes with it.

"Wow, I can't believe how fast this tour has gone!" Libby comments.

"Yeah, for you," I say. "I don't think I've had a slower 2 and ½ months."

"I'm sure you're invited to the end of the tour party back home. You know about that right?"

"I don't know... I don't know if I can."

Libby detects the uncertainty in my voice. "Come on, they're so much fun. All of the families of the people who were a part of the tour get together and celebrate," Libby talks it out. "And I want you there."

"I'll think about it," I say noncommittally. I miss Steve a lot. Luckily, it's time to get ready for the show so I don't have to think about him for the moment. I shadow Libby around, gawking at how much is involved behind the scenes for one single show.

"Hey, El." Hunter greets me with a hug. "Glad you could come."

"Hi, Hunter." I hug him back. "How's it going?"

He lets out a half laugh. "Getting all hyped up before the show."

"Can't wait," I tell him.

"Hey, I noticed you didn't get in the meet and greet at Coffee House, and you also didn't ask me any questions." I know he's teasing, but for some reason his eyes are piercing into mine and making me feel unsettled.

"Um, well, I've already met you, and Libby can answer any questions I have."

"That's right," Libby confirms as she starts working on Hunter's hair.

"I don't know if you can get it much higher," I tell her.

"What? I at least want to be as tall as you," Hunter shoots at me, a smile playing around his lips.

"I'm 5'7". Your hair already makes you taller than me."

"Good to know. Just do me a favor then and never wear heels and stand next to me."

It's so much fun to watch Hunter gear up, to spend time with my friends after such a long time alone. About 10 minutes before Hunter goes on I get a phone call. Dan + Shay are done performing but the place is still extremely loud. I motion at Libby. "Steve," I mouth.

Libby nods and leads me down to a doorway. I smile, to show my gratitude, and walk in, shutting the door behind me. The volume is considerably less. By then I have a missed call, so I hit the call button.

"Hello?" Steve answers almost immediately.

"Hi, how's it going?" I am covering my other ear to hear him better. My face has broken out into a crazy grin that threatens to split my face in two, but I don't care.

"Good, and you?"

"A little hearing-deprived but great!"

He laughs. "I won't keep you; just wanted to say 'hi' and 'I love you.'"

"I love you too. How'd today's show go?"

"Fantastic! Oh, I can't tell you what a rush it is, standing on a stage, people yelling my name, singing along to my songs..."

"Okay," I hate having to cut him off. "Hunter's going to be going on and I don't want to miss it. It's the closest I'll get to understanding what you're talking about."

"Okay, talk to you later. Have fun."

I burst out of the room, nearly hitting a stagehand.

"Sorry," I call out, dashing back to where Libby stands. I am just in time to see Hunter running out onto the stage.

Libby is screaming at the top of her lungs, like the biggest Hayniac of all. I laugh and start to dance along as the music starts up. Bouncing on my feet, the base changing my heartbeat to match, the songs melting into my skin. I take in the music, and brace myself for the crazy, energy-filled night to come.