Chapter 19 Relationships

"Hold still," She orders as I twitch my nose. The brush that just swept over it is making it itch.

"I'm trying."

I sit as still as I can but I can't help jumping a little as my phone's text alert sounds.

"Almost done; Steve can wait," Libby tells me. "There, you can look now."

I turn so I can look in my mirror, and my breath catches in my throat. "How did you do that?" I actually look beautiful, almost model pretty. "You're crazy talented!"

"Thanks," she sounds pleased, as she begins to clean up all of the cosmetics spread across my nightstand and dresser. I'm done looking at myself. I swipe my phone and quickly read the text.

"He's meeting us at the restaurant at 7," I read out loud. "But he might be a little late."

I pull out my mom's string of pearls and slip them on, careful not to disturb the professionally placed hair on my head.

"Ready?" Libby asks, standing at the door.

Breath in, and out. "Yes."

We walk into the living room, where Hunter is sprawled on the floor in a black suit, pouring over a stack of my notebooks.

"So?" Libby says, catching his attention.

His eyes lift from the page, "Wow... you both look great!"

I glance over at Libby's white silk, a-line dress with glittering, silver jewelery and matching heels. Then I look down at myself, black, full-skirt, chiffon with one shoulder exposed, and my red flats. I don't like being stared at and I'm starting to fidget, feeling self conscious. The hair twisted on top of my head feels heavy.

"I swear you guys came back with British accents," I joke.

"Right," Hunter chuckles, re stacking my notebooks. He stands and brushes himself off. "Let's go."

Libby grabs her coat off of the island and I get mine from it's peg on my coat rack. I double check for my keys before we exit the apartment. To say I'm nervous is an understatement. I finally convinced Libby to let Steve come along tonight. Hunter supported me through the whole thing showing me he thought it was a great idea. And honestly, I really want my friends to get along with my boyfriend.

.....

He's almost 15 minutes late. I look toward the door again and am finally rewarded with his frame filling the entry way. He's clean-shaven and everything, he looks fantastic in his suit. I haven't seen him for a week. His headlining tour is starting in December and he's pretty busy.

Hunter and Libby don't have to check over their shoulders to know he's here. My face has broken into a ridiculous grin.

"Hey," he greets us, placing his hand on my back, leaning down and giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi," I beam as he sits next to me. "How are you doing?"

"I'm good." He shifts in his chair and picks up his menu. "And y..." he stops mid sentence.

I look at him to see what caused the interruption only to find his gaze locked on me.

"What?" My hand flies to my hair, 'did I mess it up?'

"Nothing. You just look... amazing."

"Thank you; it's Libby's handiwork." I make sure to give credit where credit is due. "Speaking of which, you remember Libby?"

"Hello. Nice to see you again."

"And this is Hunter," I gesture. "Hunter this is Steve."

"Nice to meet you," Hunter says, reaching across the table.

"Likewise. I'm a huge fan," Steve says as they shake hands.

The two fall into musical conversation and I listen as Libby tells stories from their trip "across the pond." Every so often, though, I tune into the conversation on the other end of the table, pleased that they seem to be hitting it off. The talking comes together as our meals come. Tours, music, style, presentation; we cover it all.

.....

After dinner we head over to Hunter's apartment for drinks, which turns into a jam session in Hunter's second bedroom, turned music studio. During a lull Libby and I go to refresh our drinks in the kitchen. Throughout the night I have noticed Libby is more fidgety and nervous.

"Is something wrong?" I ask.

"Sorry, I... I'm just, my mind is somewhere else."

"Oh, okay. Hope it's nothing serious."

"No... I'm just a little... well, I'm freaking out. Hunter asked me to go to the CMA's with him. We've decided to start dating publicly," she says very quickly and quietly.

My eyes flick from my hands to her face. She looks terrified, but exited.

"I'm afraid his fans won't like me."

"If they don't, their stupid. You are so nice and fun and beautiful," I jump to reassure her, meaning every word.

"Thanks," Libby says, still unwilling to look anywhere but at the glass in her hand.

"Does that mean I get to see you on T.V.? Can I get your autograph so I can sell it online?" I joke, trying to ease her worries.

"You'd have to get a television before you see me on it."

I help but laugh at her comeback. It's true, I've been living in my apartment for 3 months now, and I have everything just how I want it; but I still haven't gotten around to the television. I even have a table for it.

"I'll just have to go out and buy one tomorrow then."

Hunter walks in, making extra noise. He seems to do that when others are talking; he doesn't want to create an awkward situation in case we were talking about something private. He might seem rude, but he's really just being considerate.

"Hey, I'm sorry to be such a damp rag, but I've got an early morning tomorrow and I've got a lot to do."

"Oh yeah. Sorry," I say, setting my glass in the sink.

"I'll take you home," Steve says, walking by the kitchen and pulling his keys out of his pocket.

We say our goodbyes and take our leave. He drives me to my apartment.

"I'll walk you up." Steve turns the car off.

"Okay."

"I had a good time tonight," he tells me, reaching for my hand and clasping it in his as we stand in the elevator.

We reach my door. Both of us stop and face each other, he releases my hand.

"Hey, any chance you're free on Wednesday night?" I venture.

"Hmm... I'll have to check, I think so. Why?"

"Well the CMA's are on and I was wondering if you wanted to come over and watch them with me?"

"Wait... you don't have a T.V."

"I'm getting one," I laugh. "I'll get it so you can come over before the awards start and you can help hook it up, and I'll feed you, and we can watch the CMA's."

"Wow. That's one expensive date." He smiles at me.

Something inside my stomach lurches and I feel warm and happy.

'I want him to kiss me.' I think. For a split second I am shocked at my thought.

When I come out of it I realize he's leaning towards me. I stand on my toes and meet him halfway. The kiss is simple, short, sweet. When he pulls away he says goodnight and walks away.

I walk into my apartment and stand against the closed door. I am in deep thought as I stand in the dark. I am 22 and I just had my first kiss. I really like Steve. I really wish my mother was here. I've decided that not all guys are like Jarrod from high school.

Suddenly I'm full of energy, remembering that I haven't checked my mail yet. I dash back out in the hall. And decide to run down the 18 flights of stairs to the lobby. Not even caring about ruining my hair anymore. Just wanting to run, feeling free. Like I'm flying.