Ch.11 Closer

The encounter ended. I look at Reaper. He seems incredibly nervous. I think about what I saw in the check. I always felt so comfortable with him. Like I've known him my whole life, even though I only really met him a few months ago. I know that AfterDeath was a thing in the fandom, but I never really thought about that when it came to my relationship with him. I just did what felt right. If it went down that road on its own it would happen. But now that I find out Reaper is my soulmate, I realize I actually love him. I can accept that. If he wants to be in a relationship, I would like that. He'll have to go soon though. I need to know what exactly he is looking for between us.

  "Reaper, what is it exactly you want?" I ask him.

  "Well, let me explain. When I first met you I was curious. It's not common for me to meet an overdue soul that was still living. Then when you introduced yourself to me and I was surprised. A goddess who was on the edge of death is a rare sight. But, you weren't afraid or angry at me. You greeted me like a new friend. I was still going to reap your soul though, because even gods aren't free from death. Then I shook your hand and I knew what you were to me. As a God of death I'm more sensitive to souls than the average divine. I could literally see the connection between us being made as soon as we touched. I was happy. You were immune to my death-touch, but I might have to reap you still if I was told to. I wanted to spend some time with you to get to know you. I didn't expect you to straight up manhandle me into a cuddle. I liked it. I'm not sure if you realize or not, but I can't touch many people. Even the gods of my Au have adverse reactions. So, the only other person I really touch is my brother, but we don't see eachother much because of our job. But, you just held me like we had been doing it for years. And that meant everything to me. The more time I spent time with you the more I fell in love with you. From the way you let me constantly touch you, to how beautiful you are. I could write poems about your hair, you know. From its shade of crimson and the vivid color streaks, to the way it was as soft as silk and looked perfect no matter how I shaped it. But the most beautiful thing about you is your soul. Not what it looked like, though that's beautiful to, but how you express it. Your KINDNESS, DETERMINATION, PATIENCE, and sense of JUSTICE; shine threw even after everything you've been through. Your the strongest soul I've met in all my time of reaping. When I heard your mother was a psychopomp I knew I had found the one. The god of knowledge gave me a small prophecy about how I would meet a neutral soul descended from a line of guides close to death that would show me what I seek the most. I never put much stock into it. But in that moment, I knew that it you. You showed me love, care, and companionship. Things I haven't really been shown much of. And I don't want to part with it. I know I'll have to go for a bit, so I want to make my stance known before I do." He tells me, then pulls out something.

  He walks over to me and puts it into my hands. I look to see it's a silver locket. I can feel his magic all over it. The chain is beautifully made and strong. The locket itself is engraved with a skull and scythes crossed under it. Wings are in the background. I open it up to see on one side a monster soul made of red, cyan, green, and yellow gems. On the other, a picture of him sitting with me sleeping against his chest. "I snuck out while you were sleeping to get a camera for a picture a while back. I had planned on making you a picture frame with us together in it, but I changed that when I realize what I wanted to do." He says.

  "And what is that?" I ask softly.

  "I want to do this right. Gods and deities have traditions we follow, starting with a gift. So, would you allow me to formally court you?" Reaper asks shyly.

  I take off my scarf and put the necklace on . I hold the scarf out to him. "I don't know what's traditional. No one ever taught me, but only if you let me court you in return." I answer, holding my scarf out to him. I had a small smile on my face.

  "Well, the courting gift has to be infused with the person who is giving it magic, but it seems we both have that covered. I know you made the scarf with your magic strings. I really would love that, Geno." He says as he wraps the scarf around his neck, while he grins widely.

  "Perfect! Then I accept." I tell him. I then proceed to pull the scarf and his robe down towards me. Giving him a gentle, but quick kiss on the teeth. He has a look on his face like he won infinite coffee and chocolate.

  "You better appreciate that you got my first kiss. I been saving it for someone special." I tell him smirking.

  "Only if you appreciate getting mine." He tells me still riding his high.

  "Really?! I would think a flirty skeleton like you would manage to get at least one from another divine." I say giggling.

  "They wouldn't appreciate my smooth moves, so I've been saving it for you." He tells me also smirking.

  I start to laughing. Reaper can't hold in his own and joins. When we calm down, I pull Reaper to the ground and wrap my arms around him. I lay my head on his chest. He puts his arm around me as he lays us back. "Well isn't this familiar. I remember you doing this when we first met." Reaper says in melancholy.

  "Hard to believe that was almost ten months ago." I tell him.

  "Ten months I wouldn't give up for anything." He tells me.

  "How long do we have before you need to go?" I ask.

  "I managed to get them to put it off a few days. They were really insistent about getting me to go as soon as possible. So I have until tomorrow left. I just wanted to be able to do this before I ran out of time. You'll wait for me, right?" He says.

  "I'll wait for you. I don't know what's going to happen, I've been getting a feeling something would soon, but if something does you can always come find me. I don't know if I'll be the same, but if you still want me, I'll always be waiting. I love you Reaper. " I tell him.

  He looks at me confused at what I said, but happy at my confession. "I love you too. It's a promise then." He tells me.

  "It's a promise." I say.

  We just lay there in each other's embrace and watch the star together. Even when I'm lost, this memory would stay with me for the rest of my existence.