Ch.24 Memories and New Family

Error's PoV

  I wake up to a thud. I groggily crack my sockets open. Tilting my head up, I see Life a bit aways with Reaper on the ground. The flowers and grass around him are dead. Nightmare seems to also have woken up and yawns rubbing their eyesockets. I sit us up with Nightmare still in my lap. "Hi Life, what's going on with Reaper. He looks like he's ready for the afterlife." I ask her. She giggles.

  "He just received some shocking news is all. He'll be fine. *Huff* I'll have to fix the garden later, for now why don't you two have something to eat. I brought you some soup and bread for you Error, as well as some cookies for you and Nightmare to share. I know you don't need to eat Nightmare, but at least have a snack. You two are still recovering." Life tells us as she brings us the tray. I have Nightmare climb off my lap to sit next to me.

  Life hands me the tray and I place it on my lap. I pass a couple cookies to Nightmare and am about to start eating when I realize something. "Um Life... I have a problem." I say becoming embarrassed. Nightmare looks at me concerned.

  "What's wrong dear?" Life asks me.

  "I may have forgotten how to eat soup." I say blushing yellow. Life looks at me with sympathy.

  "Oh dear, it's ok. No need to be embarrassed. We know you have a lot of holes in your memory thanks to your amnesia, so we'll just show you how. I'm sure by the time you recover we can reteach you the basics of what you need to know." She says. I slump in relief.

  "You have amnesia?" Nightmare asks concerned. They take a bite of their cookie.

  "Yes sweets. It was because of the kind of place I was trapped, it caused me to forget almost everything from before I was there. But, I have started remembering things and people now that I'm out. I only had books and some items to remind and teach me stuff while I was imprisoned. I know alot of different things from science and magic to baking recipes and knitting, but alot of the simple things I don't remember. I know how to eat a burger and drink, but soup is something I don't recall. I can tell you the different cooking and eating utensils, but not how to use them. I know you use a spoon for soup, but that's about it." I answer. Nightmare seems to be deep in thought.

  "If you forgot everything, how did you know to come help me?" Nightmare asks.

  "I have a special list of things I want to do and people I want to help. I was luckily able to recall a bit about your Au so I was able to find it fairly quickly. As you know it was written in your fate for your story to happen. I wanted to try to prevent it altogether, but I had a plan to help you if I couldn't. The exorcism. Thank goodness I remembered how to use my magic, I just had to use alot more than I normally would since I'm so out of practice. Which ended up with me getting magic exhaustion." I tell them. Nightmare accepts my answer.

  "Which I expect you won't try to do anything similar again until you recover and refamiliarize yourself with your magic. Is that understood?" Life says.

  "Yes mame. I'll try not to make it a habit. I rather not feel like I fell off a cliff and hit every rock on the way down again." I say. Life nods, mostly satisfied.

  "Alright, so since you remember what a spoon is and how to eat for the most part, it shouldn't be to hard to show you how to eat soup." Life says.

  We spend a few minutes with me relearning to eat soup without spilling it. Life was careful with not touching me once she realized my issue with my glitches when she grabbed my hand. She said she would help me figure out what was causing it exactly. At least I can touch Nightmare and Reaper without to much trouble. Probably because of my bonds with them. The idea of anyone else touching me makes me feel really anxious. Once Nightmare and I were finished with our food we went back to our earlier position of them on my lap. Life had a warm and knowing smile on her face. I was suspicious of her and Reaper knowing about the bond.

  *Groan* "When did I fall asleep? I feel like I got a few bruises." Reaper says sitting up.

  "Bout time you woke up Reaps. We've been waiting for you to be among the living once again. Life told me you were shocked into fainting." I say. Reaper looks to Nightmare and I with confusion then realization. Then acceptance.

  *Sigh* "Of course my soulmate would get into another bond through another insane situation. I shouldn't have expected anything less with my luck." He says.

  Soulmates. That explains the connection I feel between us, and our courting. I must have forgotten about it too. Reaper and I really need to have a discussion about anything else I may have forgotten. Nightmare climbs out of my lap and approaches Reaper. I can't see their face, but I feel their irritation. I notice their corruption starting to cover them and tendrils growing out of their back. Nightmare stops in front of him and starts sizing Reaper up. "If you want to be with Mama, you have to go through me!" Nightmare says. Everyone is stalk still.

  I blink. "Nightmare, did you just call me Mama?" I ask in shock. I don't know if I want to cry tears of joy or laugh at why it was said.

  Nightmare turns to me. They seemed confused for a moment, before their face explodes into a cyan blush. They try to speak, but can't seem to give me a coherent answer through their stuttering. Their tendrils are wildly swinging behind them. I carefully get up and make my way over to them. I bend down meet them at their level. I gently cup their face and have them look at me. They try to avoid eye contact. "Nightmare, do you want me to be your Mom?" I ask calmly. Nightmare is fidgeting, but nods their head.

  I smile at the corrupted guardian and bring them into a warm embrace. "Then if you can accept a person as broken as me, I'll happily be your Mama." I tell them. It started with a sniffle, soon turning into sobbing. I look to Reaper. He nods to me, smiling in acceptance. I smile back at him. We have a rough road ahead of us, but together we might just make it through.