Ch.33 The Price

PoV Error

  I start to slowly wake up. Everything feels fuzzy and my skull hurts. I rub my forehead and groan. I hear someone exclaim, "She's awake!" and movement next to me. I open my eyesockets before quickly closing them again from the bright light. That did not help my head ache. I try to sit up, before someone puts their hand on my chest. "It's best you lay back down. After what you had to go through you need time to relax and recover." I hear Life tell me.

  "What I went through?" I ask, before the memories hit me like a truck. I start crying from my despair.

  Someone pulls me into their arms while another wraps their arms around my waist. "Shh, it's ok Error. We're here. It's ok. Let it all out." I hear Reaper tell me. I'm sobbing into his chest.

  "I'm SoRrY! I DiDn'T WaNt To! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY! I'm SoRrY!" I kept repeating over and over again.

  "It's ok. It's not your fault. You were only doing what you had to do. You ended their suffering." Reaper says.

  "ThEy... ThEy CaLlEd Me ThEiR AnGeL Of MeRcY." I tell him crying. Reaper rubs circles on my hands.

  "You are. You gave them mercy when they had been suffering. You did good Error. So just relax and heal. We'll be here for you. Always." Reaper says.

  "Ya mama! We'll be here for you forever!" I hear Nightmare says from my lab. I sniffle.

  "Ok. I LoVe YoU BoTh So MuCh." I say before immediately passing out.

____________________

PoV Reaper

  Error falls back to sleep in my arms. It hurt seeing them in so much pain. The worst part is when we checked them it said they had a cracked soul. It takes a lot to crack a gods soul, so I can only imagine the amount of emotional pain they are in. Atlease their not falling down. Probably have too much DETERMINATION for that. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But I still want to murder the objects of my love's pain. "I'm gonna murder that stupid god and damned deity. If they were actually doing their jobs properly this wouldn't have happened." I say trying to keep my voice down.

  "Isn't there anything we can do to stop them?" Life asks.

  "Well it has been agreed that Fate would get a trial soon, but for deities that can be anywhere from a few months to years since they perceive time differently especially between different multiverses. There is nothing the deities can do to the creator since Fate is incompetent and made a huge mistake in leaving them to their own devices. The fool destroyed their own soul! Due to their immortality they are able to live completely lacking one. The problem with that is that the deities can only interact and communicate with the souls of gods according to the deity laws. The creator lacking a soul basically means he's untouchable. We can't even kill him since he has the true immortality of a balance keeper like us. Plus, I don't know about you, but I don't like the fact that all of creation is in the hands of someone soulless that gets high on paints to feel emotions with the memory and attention span of a goldfish." I tell her.

  "So Mama is the only being that's keeping us all from being destroyed?" Nightmare asks. They were currently in their corrupted form from all the negativity coming from Error. It was definitely a nice surprise to find out I could touch the little negative guardian, no, godling.

  "Ya, they literally have the fate of the multiverse on their shoulders. It's our job to support them the best we can. Got that kiddo?" I tell them. Nightmare nods in understanding.

  "I wanna help Mama. I don't want them to be sad," they say.

  "Well then you need to make sure you give them lots of cuddles and let them know you love them. Ok?" I say. Nightmare seems to think for a moment.

  "Isn't there anything else we can do to help?" Nightmare asks. I sigh.

  "Maybe when your older, but right now your still a young godling, so I don't think Error would want to have to worry about you getting hurt or someone kidnapping you. You may be powerful and immortal but you shouldn't have been forced into your role at such a young age. Giving the responsibility to watch over the balance of emotions was your original mother's task. She was a grown guardian. You and your sibling weren't trained to guard the tree like she would have been. But Error, Life, and I will make sure you learn how to do your new role while being able to be a child like you should." I tell them. Nightmare looks at me conflicted then huffs.

  "Your really hard to hate." They tell me. I raise a nonexistent eyebrow.

  "Why would you hate me?" I ask confused but amused.

  "Your taking Mama's attention. I wanted to hate you since no one is good enough for Mama, but now I have to share her with you." Nightmare tells me pouting. I chuckle.

  "Well you would be one of the few who don't with me being a literal death god. I know I'm not good enough for your mother especially after what happened to her, but somehow she disagrees. Now that I have her back I'm never going to let her go again. I have alot to make up for. We need to work together to take care of her, since she tends to care about others more than herself. She has a caring soul, so we can't stop her from taking in strays. We'll just have to make sure that no one takes advantage of her, you with me?" I say, holding my hand out to them.

  Nightmare looks to my hand and after a moment grabs it, nodding. "Well now that you two have to an agreement I can rest easy, since Error is in good hands. Make sure that she remains in bed, and I'll bring something for all of you to eat." Life says before leaving the room.

  "Get some rest kiddo, we're in for the long haul." I tell them.

  "I'll make sure Mama doesn't have nightmares." Nightmare says, before closing their eyes and going to the dream realm.

  Things are moving forward and not in a direction I like. The future really is grim, but I'll do whatever it takes to make sure we make it through it in one piece. I look down at Error. If the price is whole multiverse going down in flames for her life and freedom, then so be it. I'll turn my back on everything and follow her anywhere in the omniverse. I won't fail again.