14

Colby places the phone back on the wall, a smile now on his face.

"Mom!! Mom!" Colby exclaims running out of the kitchen.

"Mom!"

She laughs at his excitement "yes sweetie?"

"The phone works! I knew it did!" he says earning a confused glance from his mother.

"It does! Sam just called on it! He's coming to sleep over" she shakes her head gently.

"Well alright Colby, thats fine" Colby smiles.

"I promise it works mom! I'm not lying!" he exclaims knowing she doesn't totally believe him.

"Okay Colby, whats your fascination about such thing anyways? If it works then so be it, it's getting taken down soon, there's no use for it and it looks silly there" Colby huffs out a breath.

"Whatever, I was just saying" he grumbles, his excitement about such an old invention- in his eyes, working no longer evident.

-
1:30pm

Hearing the door bell go off Colby grins rushing down to answer the door.

"Hey Sam! We're gonna have so much fun, come in!"

Sam giggles at his excitement and walks in.

"Hi Pat" Sam smiles, waving at her and she smiles.

"Hi hun,"

Colby grins going to speak but his mom starts up again.

"Before you two run off, that phone, in the kitchen does it really work?" she asks.

"Mom it does I-" Colby tries.

Sam talks over him.

"Yes, it does." he speaks slowly.

"Nobody ever thought it did after it first broke, when me and my boyfriend got together he hadn't came out to his family yet so we seen it and fixed it accidentally. I bought one myself so we could call late at night since his parents were the type to take his phone every week and search through it so we never exchanged numbers until he came out, ever since then nobodies touched it."

Pat hums with a soft smile "oh, I see."

Sam nods with a small smile.

"Well c'mon, we'll be in my room" Colby says dragging him along.

Getting to the room Sam realizes it's Liams old room.

He hesitates to follow the brunette in but inevitably does.

Looking around, it looks completely different, barely looks like the room he remembers.

It's a whole new room, almost completely unrecognizable.

"Well? What are you waiting for Sammy, come in."

Sam smiles small, stepping out of the doorway allowing him to shut the door.

Sitting on Colbys bed comfortably, Colby comes and lays down at the foot of the bed.

"So? That phone, the number taped to it? Is it yours?" Sam smiles nodding his head.

"Not exactly, it's only to my telephone, my normal number is different" Sam says as he pulls his phone out of his pocket.

Colby smiles grabbing his as well, at least they're exchanging numbers.

Handing the phone back he speaks again "how come we got told it doesn't work?"

Sam shrugs.

"I guess his parents never arranged a plan to get it fixed once they were informed it was broken, nobody touched it and we never told them it wasn't broken anymore, besides, no one ever felt the need to touch it since everyone had their own phones."

Colby hums.

A beat of silence passes.

"Wanna talk about it..?"

Colby asks, sitting up.

Sam slowly shrugs.

"Not much to say" he whispers.

Colby frowns "really? nothing at all?"

Sam hums faintly making Colby frown.

He lays on his stomach on the other side of Sam.

"Well, have you texted him at all?" he asks turning his head to Sam as his cheek is pressed into his arm.

Sam hums looking up at the ceiling.

"Always. I do everything I can to talk to him but it just seems he never has the time, all he ever sends- if he does answer is a 'can't talk' text, I'm sick of it, I just don't know what to do anymore."

Colby hums scanning the side of Sam's face.

"Well, do you have any ideas on what he is busy with?" He asks with a soft voice.

"Work I guess, I mean, thats what he told me when he got settled in, but that's all it ever is, nobody works every single hour of the day, right? I don't understand why he can't talk to me, not even on his break."

"I don't know what went wrong, we were so happy together and spent everyday together for the past year and a half. I didn't think him moving away would affect us this badly."

Colby hums again, taking a small pause before speaking.

"Have you tried speaking with his mother? I'm sure she could tell you what's going on, if your truly worried on why he hasn't talked to you, maybe you could try to get ahold of her, possibly his father, siblings if he's got any."

Sam smiles at his soft voice "yeah.. I guess I could try that, thank you. But enough of this, I came to forget about it for a bit, to be with you."

Colby smiles.

"So? What's your plan? Since you think we're going to have the best time ever."