34 | they tell me i'm a god

(a/n: YALL I GOT ACCEPTED FOR THE ONLINE CLASSES I APPLIED FOR AHHAFHH but the downside is that i got covid lmfao. im literally writing this as i do my assignments and watch the valorant champions stream on the side)

"Midoriya... Does the name Y/N sound familiar to you at all...?"

Izuku couldn't help the way his breath caught in his throat.

His brows furrowed, a small crease scrunching up between his eyebrows as the name resonated throughout his head.

'Y/N...'

Why did that name sound so familiar?

Izuku cringed as a sharp pain pierced his skull, his face scrunching up on instinct.

Shouto immediately gathered what was happening, willing himself to be patient after everything he had just experienced.

"Y/N?" Izuku muttered out, reaching a hand out to steady himself on the edge of the bed. Shouto reached out and grabbed his friend's wrist, gently guiding him to sit beside him on the bed.

Izuku gave a small grunt as he settled down, eyes growing hazy as static began to fill his ears.

Y/N...

Where had he heard that name before?

It felt like he was underwater, as if some sort of spell was cast upon him. His arms and legs felt like jelly, finding himself clutching at his head as it pounded in his ears. The silhouette of a girl appeared in his mind, desperately trying to piece together the memories he had lost.

"Here you go! That'll be 500 yen!"

Memories of your first encounter flooded his mind like a rushing dam, barely registering two people walking through the door.

Images of you flashed through his mind in the form of snapshots, memories rearranging and fixing themselves. The mere mention of your name had brought everything rushing forward.

The first time you met, you had scammed him off of a banana bread.

The way you carried yourself during the villain attack at USJ.

How you dominated the competition at the sports festival.

The way you aided him, Iida, and Todoroki against Stain.

When you indirectly helped him develop his shoot style.

You became his friend.

How could he forget?

Suddenly, everything went black.

Izuku couldn't contain his panic as he was thrown into a familiar dark void that he had only seen in his dreams. Only this time, with a familiar figure kneeling beside a small patch of flowers.

He recognized them.

It was you.

"Y/N?"

He forced himself to take a step forward, hands clammy with sweat as he approached.

The sight of your loose tresses and glowing eyes was almost enough to make him cry.

He couldn't believe you were in front of him at that moment, considering everything he had just remembered.

The fact that he saw you die so brutally only reinforced the idea that this wasn't real. But everything felt real.

He felt inclined to believe that you were still dead, the girl in front of him couldn't be anything more than a figment of his imagination, right?