37 | at all times i think im feeling odd.

"How have you been?"

Shouto let out a soft breath as he sat down in the chair across from his mother. He couldn't help but feel content in her presence. Instead of feeling resentment towards her, he was mature enough to recognize that her subsequent manic break during his childhood was courtesy of his father. He understood that the constant abuse she endured led her to become mentally unstable, resulting in her throwing boiling water over his face. Despite that, he bore no ill will towards his mother. He still loves his mother.

"Supplementary classes have been hard, but I'm trying my best to catch up with my friends." Shouto spoke softly, his mother not missing how he referred to his classmates as friends.

"I bet they're tough, but I'm sure you'll be able to catch up in no time!" Rei gave her son a warm smile, the teen responding with one of his own (albeit a bit small). "I know you can do it, Shouto."

Her words of encouragement made Shouto's heart swell with determination. Sometimes he wondered if his mother had some sort of sixth sense that allowed her to know exactly what words to say to make him feel better. Perhaps he should just chalk it up to "motherly instinct."

"Thank you. I'll continue to work hard, Mom."

A long silence filled the room for a moment, leading Rei to tilt her head to the side questioningly. She watched as her son pressed the tips of his fingers together, a sort of thing tended to do when he was stressed or anxious. Rei's eyes softened at the sight of her son, reaching for his fidgeting hands. She gently wrapped her smaller fingers around his, giving him an encouraging nod when he looked up at her: eyes wide in surprise.

"Take your time, I'm not going anywhere."

Shouto let out a long exhale, tongue poking out between dry lips to wet them. A wave of uncertainty washed throughout his entire body. He felt a bit of resentment towards himself for finding it so hard to talk about this. He had even planned beforehand on what exactly to say, but all that flew out the window when he was face to face with the one person who could bring him closer to the one he longed for the most.

You.

A part of him felt guilty for essentially using his mother as a means to find you, but all of those thoughts vanished into thin air when he remembered what you had told him.

"I'm sorry for being so selfish. I'm sorry for being so greedy but I just can't do this anymore. I can't."

The way your voice wobbled as if you were on the verge of tears, it made him feel like he was crumbling completely.

He never wanted to see you like that again. Not if he had anything to say about it.

With a deep breath, Shouto pulled himself together. He had to let his mother know the full story. He trusted her with every fiber of his being. He knew for a fact she wouldn't tell anyone, not that she could within the confines of her hospital room.

"So, there's this girl..."

Rei couldn't contain the scandalous gasp that escaped her.

'A girl?!'

As comedic as it sounds, Rei wasn't expecting to have the talk with her son so soon. While she did know for a fact that her son was the most handsome boy in the world, she hadn't expected the boy to fall for someone anytime soon. In her mind, she assumed that Shouto was too focused on becoming a hero to even think about starting a relationship. The boy was always more quiet and reserved, not that she thought that gave him any less of a chance to bring a pretty girl home.

Nonetheless, Rei knew for one thing that she as a mother had to support him through his endeavors as a young adult. He was on the road to adulthood, of course he would need some help with girls. Or boys if that's what he preferred. Hormones were at an all time high at his age, so she needed to be prepared for these kinds of conversations.