0️⃣ 2️⃣

Alicia's Pov

Loud banging sounds startled me and now I realized that I slept throughout the day. Oh no.. master would kill me. I didn't do the laundry, didn't prepare the lunch, and didn't do so many other things.
Master would be so angry.

I hope his wife is at least not with him. She doesn't live her always but comes from time to time and always makes my punishment worse. And the weekends are my favorite because sometimes even the master goes somewhere.

I dragged myself out of the attic room. And went to open the door.

Outside the doors, 3 police officers were standing. I got so scared and was about to shut the door when the lady police spoke,
"Hi dear, don't worry you are not in trouble, it's just about your stepparents. By the way, I am Inspector Dyna, he is Inspector Wilson and she is Miss Grace from social services. Are we allowed in dear?"

I moved aside so the cops could get in.

"Tell us what your parents- Inspector Wilson was saying but inspector Dyna interrupted him and said
" Lemme handle this Wilson. Now sweetie what's your name."

As I couldn't speak, so I just shook my head.

"O dear are you mute" Miss Grace asked.

This time I nodded.

"Let's skip the interrogation, Wilson." Inspector Dyna said or more like order.

But what interrogation are they talking about? I am so scared. Where is sir? What happened to him?

All these questions were running through my head.

" Fine. So girl Jenna and Robert were caught in a drug scandal and money laundering."

"Wilson don't you even know how to talk to a child." Inspector Dyna again interrupted more like scolded Inspector Wilson.

"Leave this to me please" she added

"So dear your stepparents were involved in some very bad stuff and they have to be sent to jail for many years. Sorry, you gotta face all this. But now you will come with us and Grace here will help you find either any of your relatives or another home for you to live in"

As she finished, I was already in tears. Not because that sir went to jail but because I am scared that I'll be treated worse at the foster homes. One thing that I was grateful for was that at least I have a home to live in, now I am not so sure.

"Oh, sweetie don't cry. Everything will be fine, I promise you." Grace said.

"Yaa you just have to pack your stuff and then come with us," inspector Wilson said.

I nodded and went back to the attic. I had a tattered backpack that I was allowed to carry to school. I packed all the 2 pairs of clothes that I own. And also a battered elephant, it is the only toy I ever had, though I had it forever.

On my way downstairs I made a detour towards the bathroom, where I spotted a few pain relief medicine because walking straight without wincing was a hard task.

After that everything happened in a blur. Now I was seated in a room, and Grace was looking for any relative that I may have who might also be willing to have me.

After 2 hours or so, all three of them came back to the room where I was. They told me that they found my real family who are ready to take me back.

So apparently my brother will come in the morning to get me, therefore I'll be so spending the night at Grace's place. But I declined to go with her. And stayed all night in this room itself. I hardly slept a wink as I was busy thinking about my blurred future and those people whom I'll be living with.

The next morning around 7, a man along with Dyna and Grace entered my room.

We kind of had the same eyes and hair. I assumed he was my brother. I kept looking at him, not doing anything. He came forward bent a little so now we were face to face, than he delicately asked, " How are you Alicia, I am your eldest brother and Guardian."

I just nodded at him.

Before he could say something, Grace told him that I was mute.

A look of shock crossed his face before he hid it and again said to me.

"Let me complete the formalities in a few minutes then we will leave For New York."

And I nodded again.