2. my motive? trying not to have a crush on you

AN: decided to upload early in appreciation for my first comment! this one's for you @Iam_Svb

True to her words, Ariana called you to schedule a hangout. You had been exchanging texts with her for two weeks now, telling each other about the random things occurring in your daily lives. The first text came when you uploaded the interview and she commented on how entertaining it was.

Coincidentally, both of you have nothing much to do today. So you invited her to your place again. You weren't sure what Ariana liked to do in her free time, but you were up for anything. So you left it up to her to choose.

She came over at six-thirty on the dot. You went out to help her with the paper bags she balanced in her arms.

You peered into one of them to find a pile of packaged food items. "For someone so small, I didn't know you had such a big appetite."

"Hey! You're not that tall yourself. Wait till I wear my heels." You put your hands up in mock surrender at her retort. "Besides, I still don't know what you like so I got everything."

"Thank you." You said, appreciating her thoughtfulness. "I'll treat you next time."

"Okay, I'll expect something fancy and expensive. Or a ten-course meal."

"Yes, your highness." She laughed when you bowed theatrically at her.

The both of you got into a rhythm of preparing and cooking, with you being her sous chef. While you were not exactly a bad cook, listening to Ariana taught you a few new skills.

The weather was good that evening, so you two decided to dine alfresco. You carried a small table and chairs to your backyard while Ariana did the finishing touches on the pasta. She brought out the food and water when she was done.

"This is great." You don't really cook anything fancy for yourself, usually getting microwavable ready-to-eat meals or takeaway. So it's nice to have something home-cooked for a change. "But I can't see anything."

Ariana laughed in agreement. You didn't take the lack of light into account, thinking the lamp posts surrounding would be sufficient. Spoiler alert, they weren't. You should your backyard, perhaps by adding some fairy lights.

"Wait here, I'll go get something that might help."

You remembered the candles you bought on impulse. You found them, thankfully, sitting idly in the corner of a sock drawer. What they were doing there, you weren't sure but it seems like they were a good buy after all.

After you got what you needed, you rush back out, not wanting to keep Ariana waiting. You placed them in the center of the table, lighting them up carefully.

Ariana gasped in delight, but it soon turns into laughter when she sees you put a bucket of water beside you. "You're quite prepared, aren't you?"

"Better safe than sorry, you'll be surprised with how many accidents could be easily prevented." You remarked, before taking a bite of your food. You closed your eyes and savored the flavors. "Wow. This is really good."

You saw a blush painted Ariana's cheeks in the shadows and the candlelights. "I'm glad that you liked it."

You enjoyed the rest of your pasta in comfortable silence, savoring every bite.

You waited for Ariana to finish hers, before putting out the candles and gathering both of your plates. You brought them back to the kitchen and washed them. When you wiped them dry and placed them on the rack, you turned towards your living room. You saw Ariana on your couch, fiddling with her phone. You figured she was calling for a ride home.