14. so good it's nasty

You found someone holding a sign with your name on it, whom you recognized as Ariana's driver. It was a compromise when you dissuade her from coming to pick you up personally since it would be a wrench in the singer's already busy schedule.

Once the car pulled away from the pick-up point and onto the highway, you texted Ariana the moment you landed as promised.

Her reply was immediate: welcome back.

It had been a long month. For the most part, it was fun and rewarding. Work didn't feel like work when you were happy to do it, and exploring a new city was exciting. However, you felt a little homesick in the midst of it all. So you worked hard, along with the rest of the filming crew, to wrap up the shoot as efficiently as possible.

You were homeward bound at last, and you spent the time in the backseat thinking of things to do when you reached your destination. A long shower and a nap sounded perfect.

When you finally arrived at your house, you stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. Ariana's driver was kind enough to help with your luggage before they drove off.

Walking towards the door, you turned the handle without using a key and found four familiar faces greeting you.

"Surprise!"

You tried your hardest to act as such, but Ariana had unintentionally hinted during texts what she had planned. Knowing you weren't one for surprises, Olivia straight-up told you. "It's not my birthday." You quipped instead as they swarmed around you to pull you into a big hug.

"No, just your return after an entire month!" Ariana half-shouted. "I- we've missed you."

"I missed you too, all of you." You replied, patting whoever's back that was within reach. The circle broke off after a beat, but Ariana held on a little longer, not that you were complaining.

"Alright that's enough PDA, let's eat." Victoria snarked, prompting laughter all around, and a small grumble from the koala impersonator.

Ariana did pull away from you a little, but her grip remained on your wrist as she tugged you towards the table. The wooden surface was filled with numerous takeout boxes and paper plates - a 'welcome home' feast.

"Is that-" You pointed out.

"Yup, all your favorites," Olivia confirmed. "Ariana insisted."

You wanted to take a quick shower but the girls suggested you eat first. Ariana ushered you to the middle of the couch but you stopped, knowing there wouldn't be enough space for all of you.

"Why don't we all sit on the floor instead? It'll be easier to eat anyway." You suggested. The girls agreed, surrounding the table. Ariana, unsurprisingly, took her seat beside you, while Victoria, Zendaya, and Olivia sat on the opposite side.

You didn't comment on the way Ariana's hand was resting on your lap the entire time. Instead, you focused on savoring the food as well as watching the film you had voted on.

Within 20 minutes, the five of you were in different states of inebriation. If they were put on a scale, Ariana was the tipsiest with two glasses of champagne. Zendaya had half a glass while Olivia had one. Victoria, unsurprisingly, didn't drink a sip, having milk tea like you.

"On Wednesdays, we wear pink!" Zendaya said, fully immersed in her role as Karen. You sat back and watched them turn into a giggling mess of quote recitations. You accepted every popcorn Ariana fed you every now and then.

As the movie played on, more glasses were emptied. "Do you want a refill?" You asked Zendaya quietly without interrupting their scenes reenactment of Mean Girls.