13. point of view (Ariana's)

🖤

Don't forget to bring your reading glasses

You

i won't

thanks for reminding me

🖤

You're welcome

Drive safely

See you soon

You

i will

see you

When she called to invite you, you realized it was the first time she had ever initiated it. All your previous meet-ups were requested (or demanded) by you. So you pretty much cleared any schedule you could to spend as much time with her before she leave for New York the very next day, 1 AM to be exact.

It had been a minute since you had stepped into her house again. Everything looked the same as it was when you first visited - like entering the same hotel room after housekeeping every night - but retaining its familiarity and sense of belonging.

She ushered you in warmly like she had always done, offering drinks and snacks after you sat down on the couch. The movie she wanted to watch was already put on the screen; directed by the same person from her favorite film you two had watched together before.

With a cup of hot chocolate in hand (with a recipe somehow better than yours), surrounded by pillows and blankets, you should have felt relaxed and comfortable.

Instead, a feeling you couldn't name gnawed and chewed inside you incessantly.

Everything was fine, but nothing was okay.

You were friends again, thank god. But it wasn't like before. You didn't think that there was anyone in the world who would go out of their way to not touch you, going so far as to put the bowl of popcorn between the both of you every time you watched movies. Like now.

After your birthday, you didn't, couldn't view space the same way ever again. Nothing had made you feel lonelier, despite what she had said than looking up at the moon during nights you couldn't sleep and wondering if she was looking at it too. Thinking about you too.

It was all your fault.

Even if you had many reasons to do so, you were the one who ruined a perfect night, turned her down, and broke her heart. But she's still here, beside you, letting you grab a handful of popcorn first before she does.

"They should have used 'Best Part' by H.E.R and Daniel. Imagine how meta it'll be." She suddenly spoke out loud, turning towards you. You looked away in a panic, afraid of getting caught staring. "No actually, they should be putting one of your songs in. Now that I think about it, you should sing more in movie soundtracks. I can't believe you haven't been in much, I would have watched them just to hear your voice."

For a moment, you didn't understand what she was referring to since you haven't been paying attention. When you focused on the scene unfolding before you, you watched as the two female characters float freely on the water while listening to a song. You hummed, not wanting to appear uninterested. You should really pay attention to the rest of the film now.