3. no one like you

You learned how right Olivia was when Ariana showed up at your doorstep two days later, instead of the scheduled next week.

Everything about her visit was a surprise. From the ringing of the doorbell at two AM to the quiet sobs that woke you up like cold water to the face.

The shock got replaced with anger so quickly that it scared you. You couldn't even remember the last time you felt such fury that you wanted to hurt somebody, namely the cause of Ariana's tears. Whoever they were, they were lucky not to meet your wrath because your hands were too occupied with holding Ariana together as she broke down.

You somehow navigated the both of you to your room. It was your comfort place, and you hoped it would give her the peace it did for you. You laid her on your bed carefully, though she made it harder than it was supposed to be. Her grip on your shirt was unrelenting. You tried to untangle yourself from her hold, but you were met with resistance.

And she then pulled.

You hadn't had time to react, bracing yourself as you tumbled and fell. With pure reflex, you managed to extend your palms, barely stopping yourself from fully colliding onto her. You were close enough to smell the liquor on her breath, to hear the murmurings of 'stay'.

While you could endure the pain from your wrist that kept you hovering over Ariana, gravity would bring you down sooner or later. So you twisted in a way that allowed Ariana to keep clutching your sleeves like a lifeline while letting your body sink into the mattress.

Not that it made it any easier to sleep.

This time, Ariana couldn't look you in the eye, when you both woke up around the same time.

You let her use the bathroom first, knowing she must be uncomfortable in yesterday's clothing and unwashed makeup.

So you busied yourself with making breakfast, while she freshened up. However, you quickly found out how difficult it was to cook without using any animal products, with your arm still a little sore from being used as a pillow. Thank god for food and groceries delivery services. You practically ordered everything you remembered from previous dining experiences that Ariana liked. You got some vegan ice cream as well because ice cream always made one feel slightly better no matter what.

The hair on your neck stood up when you heard pained grunts coming from your bathroom. You grabbed a bottle of water and rushed towards the sound, seeing Ariana sprawled over your toilet. She had never looked so small.

You held her hair as she heaved, rubbing her back soothingly. "Feeling better?" You asked after her body stopped trembling.

She nodded weakly and you helped her up. You opened the bottle to rinse her mouth and hydrate herself.

The food arrived just as the both of you emerged from the bathroom and you told Ariana to help herself while you did your morning routine.

You went back to the living room after brushing your teeth. The sight of Ariana eating brought you some relief. You joined her silently, weren't sure of how to act around her, which came as no surprise since you had only known her for less than a month.

You knew better than to pry about last night's events, to bring up bad memories that you probably wouldn't understand even if you say you do. So you just let her go at her own pace and reacted accordingly.

"You're welcome to stay, but I have a bit of work to do." You told Ariana when you're both done with breakfast.

She got up when you did. You assumed that she was going to leave as you cleared the rubbish and kept the leftovers.