18. positions

"One more box to go." You announced, picking up the box cutter. There were no labels on the box, strangely, or anything to indicate what is in store. Gliding the blade through the tape, you opened the cardboard flaps. Ariana peered into the box, reaching for its contents. She pulled out a mug with a small chip on it.

"Oh, so it was in here all along." You had forgotten that you had kept Ariana's stuff (or things that reminded you of her) during that big spring cleaning. Besides the mug she gave you, there were some of her clothes, her mini shampoo bottles and makeup products, and her hair tie.

Ariana fished them all out, sifting through them meticulously. "You kept them all this while?"

"Well, I couldn't just throw away your things."

Ariana remained quiet as you cleaned the floor, throwing away the used tape and bubble wrap. You poked her shoulder lightly when you were done. "Shall we go put them away? We should wash your hoodies since they've been in the box for a long time."

"Okay." Ariana finally responded, helping herself up with your extended hand. The both of you scooped up the items before walking around the house to deposit them in their proper places.

After a month of moving and unpacking, you were finally done with all of it when you placed the newly washed mug on the drying rack. "There, I'm officially fully unpacked." You said, laughing when Ariana clapped.

"Just in time for our gathering."

"Right, what time are they coming over again?"

"Around one in the afternoon." Ariana reminded you.

"We should go prepare for that then."

The two of you spend the time before your guests arrive to complete the preparations for them. As Ariana made some calls, you whipped up some refreshments and brought out the champagne from the cellar. She found you watching the cookies rise in the oven. You didn't notice her until you heard the camera shutter, causing you to turn around.

"Oh! You're back. Got everything planned?"

Ariana hummed in excitement. "The caterer is coming in 20 minutes, got someone to get some blankets and pillows for the movie screening, and Frankie's getting popcorn."

"That's good." You felt a sense of anticipation gradually build up in you. Continuing with a softer voice, you said, "Can't wait for you to watch my film."

"Me too." She smiled before leaning in to give you a soft kiss. You broke it off reluctantly when the doorbell rang. "I'll go get it."

"Alright. I'll keep watch of the cookies."

A few moments later, you heard some squeals and greetings from the living room. Seems like your guests had arrived. You decided to greet them too. The moment you stepped into the living room, you were bombarded with hugs and kisses on the cheeks.

"Hi everyone, welcome." You managed to say while being squeezed. You didn't mind one bit though, finally being able to view Ariana's friends as yours, and vice versa. As everyone settled around the living room, you went to get the cookies and some snacks. Your guest helped themselves to the tidbits while waiting for the caterer.

When the food finally came, you went to set it up on the large dining table. You and Ariana took your seats last, in the middle, coordinated by your friends. Light chatter and laughter filled the space moments after, and it made you think that if anyone had told you would be here, with her, two years ago, you would have laughed in their face.

And yet here you were, maneuvering a fork in one hand, holding Ariana's in another. Even when her attention is demanded every minute, it always returned to you in form of a shared smile, a loving caress of her thumb across the back of your hand.