6. shut up

"We are at Taylor Swift's party?!"

It's not exactly a secret of how much you respect her as a writer and singer in general. Your viewers definitely got the hint with how often you mentioned her in your videos.

"Didn't know you were a fan," Ariana said as the both of you exited her car. She handed her keys to the valet service before taking your arm. You found yourself standing in line to get ushered into the venue Taylor had rented out. It was a rooftop bar in an upscale hotel you had never been to. You could already hear music playing behind the doors, making you uncharacteristically enthusiastic about joining the fun.

"Who isn't?" You tried to play it cool, but the excited smile carved on your face betrayed your true emotions. Who cares if you were a fake girlfriend when the experiences Ariana was giving you were very real? Are you going to finally meet Taylor Swift in real life?

Ariana huffed under her breath, "...never acted... meet me."

You were smart enough to connect the dots. "I was your interviewer back then so I had to act professionally."

"Still," Her lips drew into a pout, "You are much more enthusiastic to see Taylor."

"But she's not the one I bought presents for," You pointed out matter-of-factly.

A smile slowly crept onto her face, one that she tried to hide by ducking her head, walking slightly faster till she was in front of you. You followed closely behind, not wanting to lose her in the crowd swallowing around the both of you. You managed to keep her in your vision, watching her greet people she knew. You recognised some of them from seeing them on silver screens or hearing them on the radio. She doesn't forget to introduce you to them, a gesture you appreciated.

Finally, you met the host herself, who was every bit as wonderful and enchanting as you had expected. Ariana left you to talk to her in private, but not without a goodbye kiss on your cheek.

After you regained your composure, you exchanged banters with your role model and inquired about her works until a woman with a notepad, whom you assumed was her assistant, required her attention.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, I'm sorry to cut this short." Taylor smiled and shook your hand. "Besides, I think you have someone waiting for you too."

You followed Taylor's gaze and found Ariana leaning against a wall with a drink in her hand. "No worries, I'm more than happy to have the opportunity to meet you."

"Thank you. Enjoy the party."

You thanked her as she left, and you went towards Ariana. Her back was facing you, so she didn't notice you as you walked across the room. However, before you could reach her and get her attention, someone else beat you to it.

You slowed down to observe their interactions, wondering if you should give Ariana privacy. It was subtle, but you caught the wobbly step she took away from the guy. That was your cue to rush to her side.

"Excuse me," You snaked your hands around Ariana's waist to steady her.

Genuine relief flooded Ariana's eyes when they met yours. "Baby!" She exclaimed, her arm wrapping behind your neck to pull you in for a hug.

"Who's that?" You whispered into her ears once you moved out from his earshot.

You felt Ariana tighten her hands. "A friend of my ex."

You took a quick side glance at him and saw the disbelief on his face. "We need to act don't we?" You asked, pulling her closer, putting a distance between him and the both of you.