5.5. or something (part 2)

AN: this is a short chapter, so an early update!

Thanksgiving rolled around before you knew it, and you found yourself in Ariana's kitchen again, this time learning recipes from her mother.

It was awkward, at first, when her mom opened the door just to find you, a stranger, at a place that was supposed to be restricted from... Well, strangers.

You had a feeling she was going to call for security if not for her brother, Frankie, for recognizing you.

"Hi. Ari's girlfriend right? It's been a while since Halloween."

"Girlfriend?" Ariana's mom questioned, and you see her face completely change. "Why didn't you say so, come in!"

So here you were, making cranberry sauce. "Ariana," you whispered to her. "I didn't know I was going to eat dinner with your family."

Ariana turned to look at you. "I'm sorry, but my mom insisted."

"That's fine, I just wasn't sure if it's a good idea to meet them this soon."

"Why not?"

"Cause I don't have anything but lies to tell them."

Ariana rubbed her thumb against the back of your hand. "You don't have to worry about that. Just be yourself, okay?"

You took a deep breath and nodded.

After two and a half hours in, dinner was finally served. You helped set the table as Ariana brought out the dishes. You sat beside her after everyone takes their seats. Before anyone dug in, the Grande family went about expressing their gratitude for the things they have in their lives. When it came to Ariana's turn, she turned to face you.

"I'm thankful to my family, friends, and amazing support system. And I'm especially thankful this year to heaven for sending someone that makes me happy."

"You took the words right out of my mouth."

She shot you a shy smile, her eyes twinkling brightly. You witnessed firsthand how amazing an actress Ariana was. You mirrored her expression, placing your hand over hers. Ariana's dad concluded with a speech and ushered everyone to dig in.

You watched everyone reach for food before doing so yourself after.

"Daddy, can you pass me the potatoes?"

Your hands moved automatically to complete Ariana's command, but you barely stopped yourself after realizing her words. However, you know that your action didn't go unnoticed when Ariana trembled from holding back her laughter, while Frankie shot you a scandalized grin.

After receiving the potatoes from her dad, Ariana leaned in and whispered into your ear. "Daddy huh?"

Your body shivered involuntarily. "I was responding to 'pass me the potatoes' not the... name part." You defended yourself weakly, mentally face-palming yourself in embarrassment.

Ariana just continued to giggle quietly, scooping some potatoes onto both of your plates. "I'll take note of that."

You knew she was never going to let this go.

You were thankful that the rest of dinner was relatively uneventful. You managed to answer any questions thrown at you, hopefully making a good impression on Ariana's family. When it was over, you offered to help with the dishes but were immediately dismissed by Ariana's mom. "Go spend time with my daughter instead."

You couldn't say no to that, not that you want to. "Yes, Mrs Grande."

"Please, call me Joan."

You barely nodded before Ariana whisked you up to her room, where she kept her pets that evening. They greeted you excitedly, and you made sure to memorize their names.

"They really like you." Ariana pointed out as they crowd around you, with Toulouse on your lap.

"I'm glad. I like them too." You said, busy giving belly rubs and head pats. You didn't notice Ariana trying to get your attention too.

"Hey, um..." You snapped your head up and noticed Ariana's nervous expression.

"What is it?"

"I'm having a little get-together later tonight. Will you stay for it?"

"Oh, I have to go soon actually." You looked at her apologetically. "Olivia invited me for her Friendsgiving yesterday and I accepted. I didn't know you were planning something."

"It's fine, it's my mistake for not informing you earlier. Next time?" Ariana asked with hopeful eyes.

You made a show of scrolling through your phone. "Already put it on my calendar for next year."

Ariana laughed at your action, any trace of disappointment was gone. "Can't wait."

She walked you to her door, the dogs trailing behind energetically. You laughed when Myron tried to follow you out.

"Stay," Ariana said softly to him. Your feet, having a mind of their own, planted themselves on the pavement after thinking the command was directed to them. She broke the silence with a small clearing of her throat, "Um... is your ride arriving?"

"Oh, I didn't get a cab. I've decided to walk."

"Oh." Ariana's eyebrows furrowed as she tried to make sense of your words. "Is Olivia's party near here?"

"Kinda." You said, giving Myron one last pat on his head. "Be good to your mom. I'll see you both soon."

"Bye." Ariana gave you a hug before letting you go, "Have fun."

"You too," You replied. As you walked away, you resisted the urge to look back.