Chapter Thirteen

Smiling as I talk about Quidditch with Freddie and Georgie, we randomly stop with the dozens of students around us, Ron, Harry and Hermione looking at us.

We all turn to the blood-red writing on the walls.

"'Enemies of the Heir, beware?'" Draco reads. "You'll be next, Mudbloods."
Father will be happy this is happening. I'll write to him as soon as I get to my dormitories.

"What's goin' on here? Go on. Make way, make way," Filch calls, pushing past Georgie, Freddie and I.
Stupid children.
"Potter. What are you...?" Filch begins, his eyes bulging. "Mrs Norris? You've murdered my cat."

"No. No," Harry says lightly.

"I'll kill ya," Filch says, grasping Harry by the shirt. "I'll kill ya!"

"Argus!" Dumbledore calls, stopping him.

My eyes fall on Dumbledore, but I feel him pushing me away from his mind almost instantly.

Everyone diagonal to the left parts to allow Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape and Lockhart to push through.

"Argus, I..." Dumbledore starts, then takes a glance at the wall opposite him. "Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately." The twins each take one of my hands, practically dragging me. "Everyone except..." the halls freeze. "You three," Dumbledore says, pointing his finger to Ron, Harry and Hermione.

-Transfigurations Class-

"Could I have your attention please?" McGonagall asks. "Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three, Vera Verto," McGonagall casts, a bird morphing into a water goblet. "Now it's your turn. Now, who would like to go first?" McGonagall walks forwards, stopping at Ron. "Ah, Mr Weasley. One, two, three, Vera Verto."

Ron grips his wand, nodding. Clearing his throat, he points his wand at Scabbers, who is sitting perfectly on his books.

He flicks his wand three times, then utters the spell. Scabbers becomes a water goblet shape, only, he still has his tail, and his brown fur instead of glass.

Ron lifts Scabbers from the table, looking curiously as the class laughs.

"That wand needs replacing, Mr Weasley," McGonagall half-orders, walking towards her desk. Hermione lifts her hand. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor... I was wondering if you could tell us about th- the Chamber of Secrets."
Please say yes.

A sudden tranquillity fills the air as us students' gaze pierces through McGonagall.

I may regret this, McGonagall thinks with an audible sigh.

"Very well. You all know, of course... that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff... Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who," Ron says.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, Pure-Bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now according to legend... Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though shortly before departing, he sealed it... until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school. The Heir alone... would be able to open the chamber... and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who... in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic," McGonagall finishes.