Chapter Nineteen

-An Hour Later-

"Harry! Harry, are you alright?"

Harry's eyes slowly open, and he looks around before taking his glasses from Hermione, who is crouched on the floor beside him.

"Thank you," Harry says, putting on his glasses and sliding the blanket off. I place it in my bag.

"Here, eat this. It'll help." Harry eyes the chocolate in Remus' left hand as he sits up, the golden packaging in Remus' right hand. "It's alright, it's chocolate."

Hesitantly taking the piece, Harry looks between us, then at the door of the compartment.

"Wha- what was that thing? That came?"

"It was a Dementor. One of the guards of Azkaban. It's gone now. It was searching the train for Sirius Black. If you'll excuse me, I need to have a little word with the driver," Remus explains before placing the rest of the chocolate beside Harry. "Eat. You'll feel better."

"OOH, can I have some? I feel ever so doozy from that horrible Dementor attack," I dramatise, resting the back of my hand on my forehead and leaning against the back of my seat.

"Of course, Darling. Knock yourself out."

"Yes!"

And just like that, he was gone like the wind!

Harry takes a tiny bite of the chocolate as I reach for the gold rectangle protecting the delicacy, Hermione lifting Crookshanks off of the seat and onto her lap before sitting between Ron and I.

"What happened to me?"

"Well, you sort of went rigid. We thought maybe you were having a fit or something."

"And... and did either of you three... you know... pass out?"

"No," Ron replies, my head swaying side-to-side. "I felt weird though. Like I'd never be cheerful again."

"But someone was screaming. A woman," Harry says, looking intently at Hermione.
It sounded like... it couldn't be mum.

"No one was screaming, Harry," Hermione states, shaking her head lightly.

-Hogwarts Castle, Great Hall-

The school choir ends on the last note of their song, the hall clapping as soon as they finish. Dumbledore stands at his podium and microphone.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts." Dumbledore starts. "Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J Lupin... who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor."

Remus stands from his seat as all the people in the hall began cheering and applauding.

Only me, Leila and Eclipse stand up and scream, Adam no longer attending Hogwarts.

Remus, my boi, waves at the three of us, and I wave back, giving him a thumbs up. He smiles and sends one back.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, for many years, has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid," Dumbledore announces, then gestures to Hagrid.

Everyone applauds for him as he stands, almost knocking the table over with his thighs.

"Finally," Dumbledore calls, Hagrid sitting again, "on a more disquieting note... at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured." I look over at Cedric next to me, pursing my lips at the name. "The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities... a word of caution: Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt, and the one who gets in their way. Therefore I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times..." Dumbledore waves a hand behind a candle, the flame disappearing. "If one only remembers to turn on the light." Dumbledore waves the same hand in the opposite direction, re-lighting the candle.