Chapter Forty

-The Gryffindor Common Room-

"That foul, evil, old gargoyle. We're not learning how to defend ourselves. We're not learning how to pass our OWLs. She's taking over the entire school," Hermione complains about that disgusting, old hag.

"That these disappearances are the work... of notorious mass murderer Sirius Black," Fudge's voice distorts from the radio.

"Sirius is innocent!" I say, irritation clear in my throat.

"Harry," Sirius calls, my head whipping to the fireplace.

"Sirius," Harry says, him, Hermione and I quickly sitting in front of the burning flames. "What are you doing here?"

"Answering your letter. You said you were worried about Umbridge. What's she doing? Training you to kill half-breeds?" Sirius jokes, an eyebrow raised. At least I think.

"Sirius, she's not letting us use magic at all," Harry answers quickly.
This is stupid.

"Well, I'm not surprised. The latest intelligence is that Fudge doesn't want you trained in combat," Sirius says, a hint of exhaustion in his voice.

"Bloody hell. Can it really get worst than this?" I ask, placing myself beside Ron on the sofa.

"Combat? What does he think, we're forming some sort of wizard army?" Ron asks.

"That's exactly what he thinks. That Dumbledore is assembling his own forces to take on the Ministry. He's becoming more paranoid by the minute. The others wouldn't want me telling you this, Harry... but things aren't going at all well with the Order. Fudge is blocking the truth at every turn and these disappearances are just how it started before. Voldemort is on the move," Sirius warns.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and shake my head, a heavy sigh leaving my mouth.

"Well, what can we do?" Harry asks.

A door creaks open.

"Someone's coming. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. But for now, at least, it looks like you're on your own. Cass, the Order will keep you updated about anything new."

"Thanks, Sirius. Be safe," I call before he disappears, staring at Harry.

Hermione stumbles to the window, rain reflecting off of her face as Ron, Harry and I stand.

A strike of lightning causes me to close my eyes for a moment and take in the peace.

"He really is out there, isn't he?" Hermione asks, her gaze glued to the window. "We've got to be able to defend ourselves. And if Umbridge refuses to teach us how, we need someone who will."

-Hogsmeade-

"This is mad. Who'd wanna be taught by me? I'm a nutter, remember?" Harry excuses.

"Harry, you're being overdramatic. And that's coming from me," I tease, nudging his arm lightly.

"And look on the bright side: you can't be any worse than old toad face," Ron adds, causing me to stifle a small giggle.

"Thanks, Ron."

"I'm here for you, mate."

"Who's supposed to be meeting us, then?" Harry asks.

"Just a couple of people," Hermione answers, the Hog's Head Inn just in front of us.

Walking in, two random people are sitting opposite each other, almost like a pub- one looking like he's ordering and the other, serving. A goat is also right of the man 'ordering', staring at us.