Chapter Sixty-Eight

"Fred!" I scream, running along the corridors. Turning right, the sounds of melodic laughter fill my ears; it was Fred. He was near me, and he was alive. "Fred!"

I take another right, sprinting towards three men that were standing in the middle of the hall.

"Fred!"

"Chaos?"

"Get away from the wall!"

"What? I'm confused."

"Get away from the-" I was mere inches from him, and not a second later I was metres from him, reaching out for him as a loud bang filled my body.

Tears escaped from my eyes before I even hit the ground; as soon as my body impacted with the floor I was up and running towards the man. Towards my fiancé.

"You have fought valiantly..." Voldemort's ghostly voice echoes. "But in vain. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity."

"Fred? Fred please!" With all the strength I can muster, I lift the large stone slabs that are situated on him.

"Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonor. Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me."

I am quickly on top of him, engaging in chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth. I can't get him to St Mungo's- I can't apparate in or out of Hogwarts.

"Please, not you too."

Two figures were standing behind me and I could barely hear anything I was saying from the ringing in my ears. A hand touched my shoulder and I shoved it off quickly, continuing the rhythm of chest compressions and wiping a few tears on my arms.

"Chaos... he's gone," I hear muttered from what sounds like Percy, but I forcefully shake my head.

"No, he's not. He just needs me to jump-start his heart, is all. He'll be up, I'll get him up. He has to get up. He has to..."

"He's gone," George voices loudly, my hearing smoothing out.

"I can't lose him too. Haven't I given enough? Haven't I given enough?!"

"He's gone. There's nothing you can do."

My hands slow down and move aside, my head resting against his heart.

Nothing.

Not a single beat.

I can't contain it anymore; more tears began to flood from my eyes and I lay against my love's chest, my darling's heart that was no longer living.

"Haven't I given enough?"

George helped me off the ground and held me tight as I sobbed in his chest, Percy lifting Fred and hoisting him over his shoulder.

The three of us dash towards the Great Hall, and I kill any Death Eaters that come in our path; George and Percy don't stop me.

Once we're in, Percy places Fred on a stretcher opposite the doors, soon the other Weasleys and Moondusts appearing in the space.

Tears almost instantly fill everyone's eyes at Fred's dead body. My eyes are only on Eclipse.

"You fucking knew. You could've stopped this. You could've stopped this! I could've had my Fred if only you had fucking told me sooner!"

"You know as well as I that I couldn't. If I told you, something drastic could've happened. I couldn't tell you."

"So if it were George you'd let him die?!"