Chapter Forty-Two

-A Few Days Later-

Adam and Eclipse walk into my room, noticing me staring at my ring.

"Do you think auntie Molly just said it was a family heirloom so I'd take it? That she actually spent a lot of money on it and doesn't want me knowing?"

"I'm sure that's not true. We could ask mum."

"But she'd say the same thing, regardless."

"You could just find out. Go up to her and see," Eclipse suggests.

"I don't like reading any of the adults minds. Or our family's. I just unconsciously read everyone else's. And only rarely the adults'."

"At least you know that that ring is important. Look on the underside," Adam says.

I knit my eyebrows together before removing the ring, looking beneath the gemstone.

Initials for a name are carved in the back; the name of my great-great-great-grandma.

"So she wasn't lying," Eclipse says, rubbing my back. "It really is a beautiful ring."

"Thank you."

I stand and walk around the house, looking for my biffy. I spot him and his brother in the meeting room.

"Fred, are you going to do anything special for Cass? I mean, just give her a bouquet of flowers every now and then. Just so she knows you still love her."

"I don't know. I don't think she'd see it as a romantic gesture."

"What's the worst that can happen? She throws out the flowers in a couple days? Come on, she's feeling horrible because she's been thinking about Leila and Diggory a lot recently."

"Can you blame her? Her sister and her best friend both died on the same day. How do you think she'd feel?"

I just go back up to my room and fall face first into the mattress.

I sigh heavily and sit up, sitting cross-legged and leaning on the headboard as I study the ring, my mind wondering.

A knock on my door lifts my head, and I call a 'come in'.

Freddie walks in, a hand behind his back.

"Hey, Love."

"Freddie!" I quickly stand and hug his stomach, leaning my chin on his chest. "Hi."

He chuckles and pecks my forehead before pulling his right hand forwards, a bouquet of yellow roses gleaming at me.

"Freddie, they're beautiful."

"You've been in a bit of a mood lately, so I thought I'd cheer you up."

"Thank you. I love them."

He summons a vase and casts the water charm, letting me place the roses in it.

"Something's wrong. There's something in your eyes."

"Well, I was looking for you, and then I heard you and Georgie talking."

What is she talking about? He mentally asks himself.

It takes him a second for it to click, and once it does, his eyes widen as he pulls me into a tight embrace.