Chapter Three

We rush after professor McGonagall, creating two lines as we walk to the front. I find my brother and one sister at the Gryffindor table and my other sister at Slytherin, waving at them.

Freddie and Georgie catch my eyes, and they both blow me a kiss and wink, making me chuckle and send two kisses back.

I look around and stare in astonishment at the beautiful night sky that the ceiling was replicating, hundreds of candles mimicking the stars. The hall was massive, and had four long tables going down it, each respective house sitting at each one. At the front was a long table facing the rest of the hall, adults lined across it with a big, fancy chair in the middle, an old, white-bearded and white-haired man sitting in it.

Albus Dumbledore. Or rather, grandpa Dumbledore. My family have no relation to the man, but I have known him as grandpa since I was born, and considering his age it's only appropriate I think of him as my grandpa. He was there when I and all my siblings were born, held us in his arms and loved us, as far as I know.

Once we get to the front, we bunch up, a three-legged stool sitting in front of us. An old, dusty-musty-crusty, maroon-brown hat is resting on the stool.

"Now, before we begin... professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," McGonagall says, Dumbledore standing.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The First Years, please note... that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you... that the third-floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds... to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you," Dumbledore brings to our attention before sitting back in his chair.

"When I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head... and you will be sorted into your houses." McGonagall unrolls the parchment. "Hermione Granger."

"Mental that one, I'm tellin' ya," Ron says as Hermione stumbles over to the stool, trying not to panic.

The girl sits on the stool and the teacher places the hat on her head.

"Ah, right then... hmm... right. Okay. Gryffindor!" The hat shouts. The kids at the Gryffindor table begin cheering loudly as she approaches it, sitting.

"Draco Malfoy," McGonagall calls.

Draco strides to the stool, sitting.

"Slytherin!" the hat shouts as it skims his head.

He smirks, the Slytherin table erupting in applaud for him. He makes his way to the table.

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin," Ron warns, my eyebrows furrowing.

"Susan Bones." A brunette-haired girl approaches the stool.

I whip my head to Harry when I hear him wince, a hand on his scar while he's staring at a teacher.

Professor Snape. And I know it's him, without having the need to look into his mind, which I can't even do.

The man has shoulder-length, pitch black, straight hair and a long face, creases in his forehead as he glares at Harry. He has black robes which suit him well, and I smile as I reminisce the times me and my siblings had with him, all the meetings we had had and when he'd visit the family on occasion either to check on us or to see father.

Uncle Sev.

Again there was no relation to this family member, but either way he was family.

"Harry, what is it?" Ron asks.