36

"Because," He stated simply, pulling Draco down into his lap, letting his fingers continue to drift through his hair as he spoke idly on his half-lie. "Physical punishments, as often as they may tend to happen, are not exactly looked upon lightly." He stated gently. "They are dangerous, as well, particularly for Muggles as they would have to heal the old fashioned way, and as such they are typically reserved for more severe cases. I highly doubt that you did anything to deserve being hit, Draco." The latter shrugged, as best as he could laying in Tom's lap. "No, I know that you did not do anything to deserve that. You merely set a record straight, something that he asked over, and he did not like the answer so he hit you? Draco, that is not something people normally do."

"Wizards are different though," Draco muttered. Tom rolled his eyes. He may say otherwise, but punishments were rarely doled out for answering questions that were asked to them. Not answering? Yes, but actively giving the answer? Rarely. There were moments, of course, where the answers were outrageous, or you get one cruel bastard that did not like the answer and would punish you for that, but for the most part, from what Tom had managed to gather, punishments for answering questions that someone asked of you were far less common than some other things, particularly amongst wizards. Draco may or may not understand that necessarily, but Tom intended to push that realization into him. It would help in causing him to question Lucius' ideals.

"Are they truly that much different? How well do you know how your friends get their own punishments? What about half-bloods? No matter wha, it was not okay for someone to get angry because you simply answered a question that they asked you." Tom sighed, shaking his head as he continued to threat his hand through Draco's hair. "Either way, it is not important. The next time that it happens...please let me know." Draco furrowed his brow slightly at the request. It was a strange one, for him at least. Most people would not make such an odd request, and it was confusing to hear Tom request it.

"What is it that you are going to do?" He asked, somewhat nervous. It made sense to him, that Tom would have a sort of...alternative agenda. As much as he hated to admit it, there was not much that he would be able to do in the moment. Tom had to have something up his sleeve, and Draco was not sure that he cared all that much for letting his father get into Tom's way. As much as his courter tried to hide it, Draco felt that Tom had a sort of penchant for cruelty. Such things did not bother him the majority of the time, but even still...

"Draco, I am not going to do anything, I merely wish to be informed, is all. It would worry me otherwise." Draco furrowed his brows, a frown pulling on his lips. As much as that seemed simple and understandable, Draco still felt that there was something more that he was not being told. He was a Slytherin. They did not just make these sorts of...random requests out of nowhere for no reason, though Draco doubted that he could quiet understand what the reasoning was. He did not see any point in pressing the issue though, Tom had been in a rather drastic mood as of late. He had gotten so mad when Draco wanted to help with the Dumbledore situation.

Which, as understandable as he is about being frustrated with that idiotic scoundrel, there was no need to isolate me from him. I could have helped, which okay maybe it would have been a bit difficult, but I am sure that I could have at the very least aided him. I may be a little bit difficult at the best of time but...Draco sighed, softly, just accepting the terms. There is not much more that he could, Tom would press anything more and in the end he would be coerced into agreeing one way or another. He sort of, knew his own limitations. Tom was good at extracting what he wanted from people. Draco had seen it at the Gaunt House, with Morfin. The whole situation was terrifying alone, but it had given Draco a rather good insight into the other boy.

"Very well, although I do not really think that it is a good idea." Draco sighed out, pulling himself up and away from Tom. He turned to stare at the other, still sitting on the edge of the bed. "You should really try your best to avoid getting involved with my Father." He muttered under his breath. Tom turned sharply towards him, narrowing his eyes dangerously.

"What was that?" He questioned, his voice deceptively soft. Draco felt himself somewhat at a loss. I did not think that he was going to react so badly. I was just stating the obvious. Father is quite dangerous, at the best of times. When he gets angry, that is even more so.

"I am just worried for you, is all," Draco admitted gently. "Father can get...more irate than you are entirely aware." Draco hedged, trying to say something, without truly saying something. It was difficult to redirect Tom, which made it all the more unnerving trying to do something like it. Draco was not a master of deception for no reason, however, it was just that Tom was a better one. "Furthermore, it is dangerous to get inbetween myself and my father. Should I agree to these terms, it is quite important that you attempt to avoid...escalating the situation." Draco paused, as though thinking, before continuing. "Barring that, there is not much to be done regarding my father. Whether you think his...punishments are not sufficient. He has a certain, expectation and right in them...therefore it would not be the wisest decision to try and upend that."

"I was not going to attempt to intervene between your father and yourself." Tom explained, "I merely wished to know when it occurs." Draco rolled his eyes at that, not quite able to help himself, but nodded nonetheless.

"Very well."