39

"You have chosen to continue this...little stint?" Lucius questioned, having hauled Draco into the study, sitting at his desk whilst his son stood before him, hands clasped at the base of his back, his head bowed down. He had no idea how to continue to talk to his father about this. He had already made his stance on the situation quite clear, but it would seem his Father just kept pushing. He had no idea how he was supposed to get him to back down. He had no idea why it was that his father was so against it either. Grandfather was more than glad to press the union, so he was confused as to why his father was pushing for the exact opposite. It did not bode well. The Family was supposed to be united in all things, this was dividing them, and Draco had no idea whose side he was supposed to take. He also had no clue why it was that his father seemed to think that his betrothal with the Dark Lord's heir was some type of farce. It was clear to Draco that Tom was quite serious, though at times he seemed to get sucked into his work, and sort of pushed Draco away. He cared, though, he cared about him, and that was truly better than Draco could hope for in terms of a union. It was not his choice anyways, it was ultimately Grandfather's and his own Father knew that, so why was he pushing this. Did he truly think that Draco, of all people, could question his own Grandfather in what he was supposed to be doing? Did he even know that Lucius was acting like this?

Likely not, Was the answer that popped into his mind immediately. If his father had spoken to Grandfather about this worry, than he would not be going directly to him and trying to convince him to disagree in the first place. He would simply tell him, or better yet, his Grandfather would speak to him about it. If he had not spoken to his grandfather about this what was Lucius doing thinking Draco certainly had any say in anything? His father was being ridiculous, and Draco was surprised that he could not see it himself. Things had gotten odd, since Tom had come into the picture. He had no idea what his father was toying with, or playing at, but either way he did not like it...at all. Some would say Father is merely being...protective. This is not that though, when has Father ever truly been protective of me? Laughable.

"Father, I am afraid I do not understand what you are insinuating, nor do I know why it is that you are coming to me with this." Draco stated carefully, his words thick around his tongue and throat. He had to be careful, after all, and he saw the way his father's fingers tightened upon the head of his cane. He was irritating him already. Draco would definitely not be getting away from this without a beating of some sort, either physical or magical, but it had to be stated! Father is truly losing thoughts of things. I know what I say is not going to do much, but...but someone has to say it, and clearly grandfather does not know what is going on, else he would have handled this by now, maybe at least. Then again, grandfather always said punishments were father's to dish out, and rarely gets involved with the parenting, so there is the chance he would simply ignore it. "If there is concerns about what Tom or I are doing, why won't you just go to Grandfather? he is the one who controls these things after all, and...and therefore would be the one who handles any concerns." His voice got softer and softer once he heard his Father stand and stride over to himself, before becoming nearly impossible to hear right before his head was wrenched to the side by the force of the slap that his father used. He gnashed his lip with his teeth, to avoid the pained sound from escaping his mouth. That would merely agitated Father more. It is best to simply allow him to do what he wills and handle it myself. He had learned from experience, after all. He had learned how to best navigate his father's quite bewildering and volatile tempers, though there was little he could actually do about them in the end.

"You...do not speak to me like that." Lucius stated, his words so quiet and yet so horrifically sharp that Draco swore they would pierce through the very bones hidden beneath his flesh. He bent his head lower, contrite. I should have worded it differently. Or better yet, not have said a word. It was folly. Father would not see reason, and I knew that, so why would I bother even attempting to speak to him about these things? He was never one to take my opinions anyways. This would be no different. Draco was, however, loathe to involve his grandfather. Though, if he did, this whole thing would stop. It was just, Tom was involved and so was he, and his father, and he was not really sure how things would go if his grandfather found out. At least for now, he could predict things, it was contained, if poorly.

"I am sorry, Father, I shall watch my words far more carefully." Draco whispered, though he knew that his Father was not going to accept such an apology. It was all he could do, though. He watched as his father's anger seemed to triple, before forcing it down underneath...something. It always worried him, when his Father did that, but there was no real way for him to find a way around it, unfortunately. He merely waited, baited breath, to see if his Father would continue to punish him for his words, or if he would grant him some form of mercy, this time.

"Get out of my sight, before I do something we shall both regret." His father grit out, and Draco did not hesitate, rushing through the door and exhaling shakily in relief, feeling tears begin to sting his eyes, but he knew he had to see Tom. He was sure the other was angry at his sudden departure. He could only hope his Father took things to his Grandfather next time, rather than coming to him, but he felt as though that was simply too much to ask, and he doubted that it would happen.