Polite Tensions

Draco stood nervously before his father, not really knowing how he should proceed. He had rarely brought anyone to meet his father, and the fact that Tom was not exactly well known had clearly been the first thing that his Father had noticed. Draco had mentioned that Tom was from a poor family, but he had not really dared to add any more information other than that. Draco was incredibly nervous as to how his father would see his friendship with Tom, and even though he most certainly did trust that Tom would gain his father's respect-after all he was incredibly intelligent and very powerful, hence why Draco had originally befriended him (or so Draco told himself, the reality was that he was incredibly curious about this Slytherin newcomer)-he was still nervous. He could count on Tom to protect him should it be necessary, of course, but Draco doubted that it would come to that. Well, more like he hoped that it would not come to that, yet that did not mean that he was more than capable of predicting the future. He was so very nervous, with his father staring at Tom with a little bit of surprise and wariness in his eyes. 

"Father," Draco spoke softly, tone not wavering, despite the slight shake to his hands which showcased his nervousness. He stood straight, eyes on the floor respectfully as he addressed the other quietly. "This is Tom, my friend. Tom, this is my Father, Lucius Malfoy, head of the House of Malfoy." Draco gestured to each of them as he spoke of them. Tom bowed politely. 

"Hello, Master Malfoy, it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance." Tom made no motion to actively address the tension past the polite and political gestures. Tom stared directly into the head Malfoy's eyes, as though daring him to say something, anything, about his status. 

"Hello, Tom," Lucius lengthened the word, before he paused, a small smile on the edge of his lips as he turned to the ebony haired boy to implore politely, "What was your full name again?" Draco bit his lower lip lightly, slightly nervous. Tom however, allowed himself a small smirk, dark eyes flashing pleasantly at the elder Malfoy's actions.

"I do not believe I ever gave it to you," Tom said softly, tilting his head to the side slightly, regarding Lucius with dark eyes. "But, since you have asked now," Tom paused, for sheer dramatic effect. It worked, as Lucius was staring at him, slight impatience warring under the expressionless masks. "My full name is Tom Marvolo Riddle." Tom said, humorously, eyes glinting a bit. "I am a half-blood, yes. My father was a muggle who, as far as I am aware is either dead or old. My mother died at birth, and my most recent wizard in family member has also died, as far as I am aware, that is." Lucius inhaled slightly at the information which Tom had provided. 

"Ah, I assume you have been given ownership of the titles and such regarding your wizard in family?" Lucius asked softly. Oh, he did wish to address this small fact with Draco, how the other would dare befriend a Half-Blood, but he had forced himself to think it through. Draco would not willingly anger him, which meant that there was something different about this Half Blood. He was willing, just this once, to allow the half-blood a benefit of the doubt. His son would not befriend just anyone. He would just have to wait and see what it was about this boy that had captured his son's attention. 

"Ah, yes, I have. I got the letter not too long ago, I just..." Tom paused, looking to the side slightly, pretending nervousness. "I have no idea where it is. I have yet to go." Lucius nodded once. 

"Perhaps after you have settled somewhat Draco and I could take you." Tom smiled slightly at the elder Malfoy's words. Lucius was far more like his father than Tom would have thought. Draco was an interesting mix of Abraxas and Walburga he would say.

"I would be most definitely grateful for such assistance," Tom said politely, bowing his head slightly as he spoke, before gazing straight into Draco's eyes. "As long as Draco is, of course, comfortable with such things." He turned back to Lucius. "It was, after all, Draco who suggested that I stay here, I would not like to impose my own personal problems upon you whilst I am here." 

Lucius was impressed. The boy was quite the smooth talker. It was something that he could most certainly admire in a wizard. This boy seemed to have it in spades. He glanced at his son, and looked back at Tom. 

"Of course, we would be most willing. Right Draco," Lucius covered it with a smile, but his eyes dared his son to say otherwise. To his surprise, Draco was not even looking at him, but directly at Tom with warm eyes.

"Of course," Draco stated without hesitation. "Tom," Draco paused, as though exasperated with the boy. "I have told you that I would help you settle into the Wizarding world as best as I am able. This would be a simple thing, especially since Father is willing to aid us." 

Lucius stared at the two boys. There was something going on here that he could not see., That much was obvious and Lucius did not really know what to make of that. He had not been forced on the outside of his son's life in quite a while, if ever. This Tom...There was something about this Tom which seemed to bring out his son's rebellious spirit. He was not really sure what to feel about it. While this Tom Marvolo Riddle seemed simple, he was clearly anything but a mere half-blood. Lucius could see why the boy had drawn his son's eyes. He was a mystery, and if there was anything that Malfoy's did not like was a mystery within their vicinity.