38

Draco was thrilled that Tom was finally letting him in on some of the work that was going on. He had no idea whether the book was important or not, but he did jot down certain notes that could prove useful to Tom, and managed to get through over half of the issue before his father came down to the Library. Draco felt dread course upon him when he heard the door open and saw the man standing there. He did not say anything, so Draco continued to stare down at the book resolutely, his breathing having picked up slightly from worry and fear, determined not to respond to anything until his Father called for him. It was bound to happen at any point now. His Father was always looking for one of them it would seem. Luckily, Draco had not done anything too stupid to anger his Father since he had admitted to Tom what had been going on. Still, he found himself worrying over everything that he could have possibly done to piss him off.

It was not as though his Father was unreasonable, though he knew Tom thought that. Draco knew better. Lucius was quite the reasonable individual especially when compared to other Pureblood fathers. At least, that was what Draco personally thought. It could be something else entirely, he knew, but Draco felt he got a rather good grasp on the mannerisms of the other Pureblood families, and he was proud to say that his father was more logical than most of them. Of course, his father was human, and there were things that got him highly emotional. Draco being one of those things.

Draco knew that he caused his father trouble, and his father usually was quite the emotional party when it came to him, but he also knew that there were understandable reasons for that, and to some extent, Lucius had always said that Draco was lucky to have someone who cared as much as his father did. Of only his pupils he knew some of their parents did not give a shit about decorum, and it truly could mess with future prospects. Their reputation was not as good because of it as well. Such things also continued to simpler things, such as tutoring, and things of the like. He was lucky, he supposed, in many ways. The fact that Tom did not think so and wanted to...well Draco was not sure what exactly it was that Tom wanted to do, but the dark look in his eyes as he watched Father was enough of a cue in that it was not going to be...anything good.

"Draco, if you would come with me." His father spoke lowly, though it echoed through the hallow library. Draco shivered slightly. The tone broke no suggestion, though the words may suggest it. He knew better than to defy his father in any way, but especially when he was in a bad mood. It would really only cause him more trouble later on, which was something he wanted to not deal with. Tom grabbed his wrist hastily as he moved to push the book back to him, having the feeling that he was not going to be returning anytime soon, or in any condition to read. He just pulled it harshly out of his grip and strode over towards his father, not willing to take another look at Tom.

Had he looked down, or back, or glanced in any way at Tom, he would have seen the dark displeasure on his face. The way his features twisted into a frown, and the look in his eyes that promised retribution. Tom was not fond of being disobeyed, although he had seemed to have to get used to it more and more often. Despite the fact that the others of his following and their children seemed to believe he was the descendent of the Dark Lord that they had simply been made unaware of, it would seem this disrespect was something he was bound to have to get used to again. In some way, he could not fault Draco for abiding by his father's request. Though he still found himself annoyed and frustrated by Draco's instant compliance. Where was the spirit he had seen? The passion and the anger that Tom knew was down there somewhere.

Perhaps Draco's friends would have a better understanding, but Tom doubted it. This seemed to be something that Draco kept close to his chest. All Slytherins had something. Tom was courting the boy, he would figure it out one way or another, though how it was to be, he did not know entirely. He knew that Lucius was against their union, but Lucius would not be able to do much as long as Abraxas found it fitting. He also knew that Lucius had his own reservations. Of his heritage, there was little doubt. Only Direct descendants of Salzaar can speak parseltongue, much less with the ease that he managed it, but there was something else that was holding Lucius back. He knew that it had nothing to do with his gender, of course, gay couples were not entirely uncommon in the magical world, although perhaps a bit less common amongst purebloods-as maintaining an heir became more difficult, though not impossible, with two men rather than the alternative.

He would have to figure out what it was that had tipped Lucius enough to make him uneasy in allowing Draco near him. It was certainly something that required remedying. He felt his fingers crimpling the paper of the book that Draco left open besides him, and took a deep breath. It would not do for him to get so overbearing by these sorts of things. For now, there was little that Lucius could do to go against him, which was the entire point. It was just annoying.

On the bright side, Hogwarts was soon about the corner, and Tom could continue messing with Draco's head there.