| Chapter 18 |

Her first week in New York flew by in a second.

Angie and Frederico did everything in their power to make her feel at home, even bringing Love with them to Frederico's restaurant. And everything Angie said earlier was true – she was amazed by the interior design and the food.

Love usually had a busy day, either she went shopping or ran errands with Angie, or took Donut, their Swiss shepherd dog for a walk in the evening. She rarely got time to spend with Frederico: he was a busy man with a heart of gold, and Love could see now why Angie was so eager to move in with him.

„Please, don't ever call me Frederico, it makes me feel old," he began just moments after they met. „Rico is fine, Angie call's me that, too."

„Okay, Rico," Love smiled. „And can you teach me how to cook properly?"

„Sure, it would be my pleasure," Rico said with an excited glint in his eyes. „Angie rarely asks me to teach her."

„I asked you and you got annoyed with me real quick," Angie argued back from their room, just as Rico rolled his eyes at her.

„That she-devil ruined my favorite spatula," he whisper-shouted to Love, which earned a low chuckle from the young brunette.

„If you tell her about that damn spatula, I'm going to shove its remains up in your ass!"

Rico's smile fell from his face, knowing damn well that his woman was not joking about it.

„Better get working, then."

Love was a quick learner, just watching him cook made a lot of things clearer to her troubled brain. She couldn't wait to cook with her new knowledge at home.

But just as her days went by quickly, the meeting with her mother got closer, and she could already tell it will going to be a disaster at its finest. As the event grew closer, her sister got more agitated, and Rico noticed her sudden change in behavior, too.

It was a chilled Friday night, and all of them spent the night at home. Rico watched a new episode of his favorite cooking show while the two sisters sat at the dining table. Love tried to decide if she wanted to paint her nails in something colorful or more muted, but as her eyes found the black nail polish with some sparkle in it, her thoughts immediately went to Corpse.

„I guess you're favorite color is black."

„How would you know?" Corpse asked, amusement in his voice.

„You give off that vibe," Love said as she tilted her head back to look at the stars. It was a little hard to see them because of the light pollution and all, but they were still visible. And it was beautiful, she wished she could watch them with him. „And your nails were black when we met."

There was a sudden silent settling between them, and just as she wanted to break it through, Corpse's low voice disturbed the silence.

„And yours were white. With that little gemstone on the middle finger."

Her mouth fell agape, having trouble finding her voice. Even she couldn't remember what color were nails were.

Without a second thought, she picked out the black nail polish.

„You seem stressed," Love began lowly, as she started painting her nails on the table. Across her sat her sister, who tried to decide what facemask she wanted to put on tonight.

„It's because I am," she sighed and leaned back in her seat. Love didn't even have to look up at her face, she already knew she was furrowing her eyebrows at her calm state. „And you're weirdly calm. I don't like it, it's usually me who's calm."